[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 635

Jonathan McDowell jcm at www.planet4589.org
Thu Dec 2 07:46:46 EST 2010

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 635                                  2010 Dec 2; en route Somerville to Tokyo

Shuttle and Station
-------------------

Astronauts Yurchikin, Wheelock and Walker left the Station aboard Soyuz
TMA-19 on Nov 26. They undocked from Rassvet at 0123 UTC concluding
Expedition 25 after 62.0 days. The Soyuz deorbit burn was at 0355 UTC
and landing in Kazakhstan at 0446 UTC. There were some problems with the
pressure in the descent module, but the crew landed safely.

Expedition 26 is now underway with crew commander Scott Kelly,  flight engineer-2
Aleksandr Kaleri and flight engineer-3 Oleg Skripochka remaining on the
Station. Soyuz TMA-01M is docked at Poisk, Progress M-07M at Zvezda, and
Progress M-08M at Pirs.

STP S26
-------

As part of the USAF Space Test Program, STP mission S26 was launched
from Kodiak, Alaska on Nov 20 carrying a set of small payloads into orbit.

STPSat-2 is a 135 kg Ball/AeroAstro SIV satellite with technology experiments.

Falconsat 5 is a 161 kg US Air Force Academy satellite carrying experiments
to study plasma and the ionosphere.

FASTRAC 1 and 2 are 30 kg satellites developed by the University of Texas
at Austin with USAF fuding for formation flying experiments.

Fastsat-HSV was developed by NASA-Marshall and companies in Huntsville, Alabama
and carries ionospheric and atmospheric experiments, a USAF experiment, and
the Nanosail-D2 which will be ejected in about a week to deploy a 3-meter-size
solar sail.

The Radio Aurora Explorer is the National Science Foundation's first satellite,
a 3kg 3U cubesat built by the University of Michigan to study the aurora
by picking up ground-based radar signals.

O/OREOS is a 5 kg 3U cubesat for NASA's Ames Research Center carrying life
sciences experiments to study microbes in free fall and the effects of
ultraviolet light on organic materials.

The Minotaur's GCA (Guidance Control Assembly) fourth stage achieved a
637 x 661 km x 72 deg orbit using its Orion 38 solid motor. A HAPS
(Hydrazine auxiliary propulsion system) fifth stage was mounted on it,
with the primary payloads attached to a Multi Payload Adapter mounting
plate on top of that. After deployment of the payloads, the HAPS
separated from the GCA, made two rocket burns, and then released two
ballast masses in a higher (circa 1200 km) orbit, demonstrating the
capability of the Minotaur IV to deliver payloads to multiple orbits in
a single mission.

NROL-32
-------

The National Reconnaissance Office NROL-32 mission was launched from
Cape Canaveral on Nov 22. It placed a secret satellite in orbit;
I concur with the majority of analysts that it is probably a
geostationary signals intelligence satellite.

ZX-20A
------

China launched the Zhongxing-20A military communications satellite on
Nov 24. Meanwhile, the Beidou DW6 navigation satellite launched on Oct
31 is now in a 35774 x 35797 km x 1.8 deg geostationary orbit at 160.0E,
and the SJ-12 satellite has begun a rendezvous with the SJ-6/4A (SSN 37180)
satellite, following its inspection of SJ-6/3B in Aug-Sep.

Arianespace
------------

Ariane vehicle L556, mission V198, placed two communications satellites
in orbit. The Intelsat IS-17 is a Loral LS-1300-Omega with a launch mass
of 5540 kg and a dry mass of 2393 kg, carrying Ku and C band payloads.
It will be stationed over the Indian Ocean at 66E. Hylas 1, for the UK
company Avanti Communications, is an Indian ISRO I2K satellite with an
advanced Astrium-UK communications payload. Hylas, much smaller than IS-17,
has a mass of 2570 kg full, 1125 kg dry and has a Ka-band payload for
European broadband service. Its stubby solar panels probably only have a
span of 9 meters rather than the 36 m incorrectly reported by the EADS
and Ariane press kits.

Table of Recent (orbital) Launches
 ----------------------------------
Date UT       Name            Launch Vehicle  Site            Mission    INTL.
                                                                          DES.
Oct  1 1100   Chang'e 2           Chang Zheng 3C   Xichang          Lunar probe 50A
Oct  6 0049   SJ-6/4A   )         Chang Zheng 4B   Taiyuan          ?          51A
              SJ-6/4B   )                                           ?          51B
Oct  7 2310   Soyuz TMA-01M       Soyuz-FG         Baykonur LC1     Spaceship  52A
Oct 14 1853   Sirius XM-5         Proton-M/Briz-M  Baykonur LC81/24 Radio      53A
Oct 19 1710   Globalstar-2 M073 ) Soyuz-2-1a/Fregat Baykonur LC31   Comms      54F
              Globalstar-2 M074 )                                   Comms      54B
              Globalstar-2 M075 )                                   Comms      54E
              Globalstar-2 M076 )                                   Comms      54C
              Globalstar-2 M077 )                                   Comms      54D
              Globalstar-2 M079 )                                   Comms      54A
Oct 27 1511   Progress M-08M      Soyuz-U           Baykonur LC1    Cargo      55A
Oct 28 2151   Eutelsat W3B  )     Ariane 5ECA       Kourou ELA3     Comms      56A
              BSAT-3B       )                                       Comms      56B
Oct 31 1626   Beidou DW6          Chang Zheng 3C    Xichang         Nav        57A
Nov  2 0059   Meridan             Soyuz-2-1a/Fregat Plesetsk LC43/3 Comms      58A
Nov  5 1837   Fengyun 3 (01)B     Chang Zheng 4C    Taiyuan         Weather    59A
Nov  6 0220   COSMO-SkyMed 4      Delta 7420-10     Vandenberg SLC2W Radar     60A
Nov 14 1729   SkyTerra 1          Proton-M/Briz-M   Baykonur         Comms     61A
Nov 20 0125   STPSat-2    )       Minotaur IV       Kodiak          Tech       62A
              Falconsat-5 )                                         Tech       62E
              Fastsat-HSV )                                         Tech       62D
              Fastrac 1   )                                         Tech       62F
              Fastrac 2   )                                         Tech       62
              O/OREOS     )                                         Science    62C
              RAX         )                                         Science    62B
              Nanosail-D  )                                         Tech       62
              S26 Ballast A)                                        Dummy      62J
              S26 Ballast B)                                        Dummy      62K
Nov 21 2258   USA 223           Delta IVH          Canaveral SLC37B Sigint?    63A
Nov 24 1609   Zhongxing 20A     Chang Zheng 3A     Xichang          Comms      64A
Nov 26 1839   Intelsat IS-17  ) Ariane 5ECA        Kourou ELA3      Comms      65A
              Hylas 1         )                                     Comms      65B

Table of Recent (suborbital) Launches
----------------------------------

Date UT     Payload/Flt Name  Launch Vehicle  Site            Mission    Apogee/km

Oct  7 0310   RV x 3?         Bulava          TK-208, White Sea   R&D         1000?
Oct 21 1700   NASA 36.230DR   Black Brant IX  San Nicolas         Target       100?
Oct 27 1015   Mapheus-2       Nike Orion      Kiruna              Micrograv    153
Oct 28 0959   RV              Topol           Plesetsk            Op Test     1000?
Oct 28 1030   RV x 4?         Sineva          K-117, Barents Sea  Op Test     1000?
Oct 28        RV x 4?         Volna           K-433, Okhotsk      Op Test     1000?
Oct 29 0210?  RV x 3?         Bulava          TK-208, White Sea   R&D         1000?
Oct 30 0306   MRT-9           Castor 4B       Kauai               Target       150?
Oct 30 0309   Aegis KV        SM-3            DDG-174, Pacific    Interceptor  150?

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |  phone : (617) 495-7176            |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : jcm at www.planet4589.org    |
|  USA                               |          jcm at cfa.harvard.edu       |
| JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |