[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 651

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.org
Tue Dec 20 21:52:18 EST 2011

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 651                                       2011 Dec 20  Somerville, MA, USA

Space Station
-------------

After the arrival of Soyuz TMA-22 at Poisk on Nov 16, Expedition 29
continued with commander Mike Fossum and flight engineers FE-1 Anton
Shkaplerov, FE-2 Anatoliy Ivanishin, FE-3 Dan Burbank, FE-4 Sergey
Volkov, and FE-5 Satoshi Furukawa aboard the Station. Soyuz TMA-02M was
docked at Rassvet, and Progress M-13M is docked at Pirs.

On Nov 21 at 2300 UTC the Soyuz TMA-02M spaceship undocked from Rassvet
with Fossum, Volkov and Furukawa, and Expedition 30 began under the
command of Dan Burbank. Soyuz TMA-02M landed at 0226 UTC on Nov 22. The
ISS was reboosted on Nov 18, Nov 30 and Dec 9. On Dec 15, the complex
was in a 375 x 409 km x 51.7 deg orbit. Launch of the Soyuz TMA-03M
spaceship from Baykonur with Oleg Kononenko, Andre Kuipers and Don
Pettit is scheduled for Dec 21.

Shenzhou 8
----------

The Shenzhou 8 spacecraft descent module (fanhui cang) landed in China
at 1132 UTC on Nov 17 after separation of the orbital module (guidao
cang) at 1045 UTC and deorbit a few seconds later; the propulsion module
(tuijin cang) separated at 1107 UTC. (Times thanks to Bob Christy).
The orbital module remains in space, as does the Tiangong-1 spacelab.

SY-4/CX-1-03
------------

China launched a Chang Zheng (Long March) 2D from its northern
Jiuquan spaceport on Nov 20, carrying Shiyan weixing 4 (Experimental
Satellite 4). The smaller 'Chuanxin yihao 03 xing' (Chuanxin-1 satellite 3)
was also placed in orbit, together with the CZ-2D second stage rocket.
CX-1 03 and SW-4 are in 783 x 804 km x 98.5 deg orbits.

Yaogan Weixing 13
-----------------

The YW-13 satellite, launched from Taiyuan on Nov 29 into a 505 x 510 km
x 97.1 deg orbit, is probably operating in conjunction with the YW-6
radar satellite launched in 2009.

BDW 10
------

The di shi ke beidou daohang weixing (North Star Navigation Satellite No. 10)
was launched on Dec 1 from Xichang. It is also known as Beidou IGSO 5, the
fifth in the series to go to inclined geosynchronous orbit.
As of Dec 16, the satellite was in a 35704 x 35865 km x 55.2 deg orbit.

Mars Science Laboratory
-----------------------

MSL is on the way to Mars after a successful launch. The 3839 kg Mars
Science Laboratory consists of the 899 kg Curiosity Rover, attached to a
rocket-powered descent stage 'skycrane' with a mass of around 1370 kg
including 387 kg of hydrazine fuel; both are encased in an aeroshell
consisting of a 385 kg heat shield, a 349 kg backshell, and eight
jettisonable balance masses (two 75 kg masses jettisoned prior to Mars
atmosphere entry and six 25 kg masses jettisoned later). This entry
assembly is delivered to Mars by a 539 kg cruise stage which will steer
the vehicle during the trans-Mars coast. (Note: there is a discrepancy
between the masses in the MSL press kit and those on
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/spacecraft/, so I am
currently uncertain about the masses of the descent stage and aeroshell
components.)

Atlas V serial AV-028 took off from complex 41 at 1502:00 UTC on Nov 26,
and after jettison of four solid boosters emerged from the atmosphere at
around 1505 UTC, jettisoning the payload fairing and the CFLR (Centaur
Forward Load Reactor, which connects the Centaur to the fairing). At
1513 UTC MSL/Centaur entered a 165 x 324 km x 35.5 deg parking orbit. At
1533 UTC Centaur reignited for the trans-Mars insertion burn; at 1541
UTC the engines shut down and at 1544 UTC MSL separated from the
Centaur. MSL and Centaur are on a hyperbolic Earth orbit and will depart
the Earth-Moon system on Dec 1. MSL's solar orbit will be 0.98 x 1.53 AU
x 1.7 deg, roughly tangent to both the orbits of Earth and Mars. The
probe will arrive in the vicinity of Mars in 2012 Aug.

Fobos-Grunt
-----------

On Nov 22 ESA reported a successful contact with the Fobos-Grunt probe
stranded in low Earth orbit, using its ground station in Perth. Further
contacts were made on Nov 23/24. However, later contact attempts did not
succeed and it now appears that the probe will reenter the Earth's
atmosphere in mid-January. On Dec 17, Fobos-Grunt was in a 198 x 273 km
x 51.4 deg orbit.

Asiasat 7
---------

A Loral 1300 class communications satellite for Asiasat of Hong Kong
was launched on a Proton from Baykonur on Nov 25.
The Proton put it in a -496 x 170 km trajectory, and the Briz-M
upper stage then placed it in Earth orbit. As of Dec 15,
Asiasat 7 was in geostationary orbit over 101.5 deg East.

Glonass
-------

Russia continued to replenish its Glonass navigation constellation with
the launch of Glonass-M No. 46 (constellation ID 746) on a Soyuz/Fregat
from Plesetsk on Nov 28 into a 19102 x 19157 km x 64.8 deg orbit.

Amos/Luch
---------

A Khrunichev Proton placed the Amos-5 and Luch-5A satellites in
geosynchronous orbit on Dec 11. Luch-5A is a Russian tracking and data
relay satellite analogous to NASA's TDRS system. Earlier Luch satellites
used the large 2-tonne KAUR-4 bus, but this one is only 1148 kg and uses
Reshetnev's new Ekspress-1000 bus, also used for the Glonass-K
satellites. The second passenger was Amos 5, a slighty larger Reshetnev
Ekspress-1000H with a mass of about 1600 kg,  for the Israeli satcom
operator IAI Spacecom.

IGS Radar-3
-----------

Japan launched an H2A rocket on Dec 12 carrying a radar intelligence
satellite, "jouhoushuushuu eisei re^da 3 gouki"  (IGS Radar-3).
The satellite is in an approximately 500 km, 97 deg sun-synchronous orbit.

Pleiades 1a
-----------

The second Soyuz launch from French Guiana was a Soyuz ST-A, the
Soyuz-2-1a model with the old-style engine in the third stage. The upper
stage was Fregat No. 1021. Main payload was the 970 kg Pleiades 1a high
resolution imaging satellite, operated by CNES for the  French Ministry
of Defense. Four 120 kg electronic intelligence satellites for the DGA
(French military procurement agency) and SSOT (Fasat-Charlie), an
imaging satellite for the Chilean Air Force, were also carried. The
Elisa payloads were attached to the ASAP-S dispenser, which was ejected
to reveal the SSOT satellite underneath. Orbit of Pleiades is 676 x 692
km x 98.2 deg.

Nigcomsat 1R
------------

China launched the Nigcomsat 1R satelite for Nigeria into a
174 x 41820 km x 24.8 deg geostationary transfer orbit. The 5-tonne
DFH-4 satellite was built by China's CAST organization and replaced
the failed Nigcomsat 1 which operated from 2007 to 2008.
It carries a C, Ku, Ka and L-band communications payload.
This flight was the 18th Chinese orbital launch attempt of 2011.

M-Cubed
-------

The University of Michigan M-Cubed cubesat, launched with the NPP
weather satellite on Oct 28, is now thought to be attached to, or
entangled with,  Montana State's Hiscock Radiation Belt Explorer (E1PU2)
cubesat which was ejected along with it. The two craft are being tracked
as 2011-61F, catalog 37855.

Cassini
-------

The Cassini probe made a 99 km flyby of Dione on Dec 12, followed by
a 3586 km flyby of Titan on Dec 13. Cassini has been in orbit
around Saturn since 2005 Aug.

Suborbital flights
------------------

On Nov 17 the US Army launched a three-stage STARS rocket from Kauai.
STARS uses the first two stages of the retired Polaris A3 missile with
an Orbus 1A upper stage. The payload was the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon,
which reentered the atmosphere over the Pacific and then flew a long
hypersonic glide trajectory to the Army's Kwajalein island impact area.

The DLR/Astrium microgravity payload TEXUS 48 was launched by the Swedish
Space Corp. team from ESRANGE on Nov 27 using a Brazilian VSB-30 rocket.

The Rosgidromet (Russian weather service) has launched the first MR-30
weather rocket from Kapustin Yar, on or before Dec 19.

Erratum
-------

Marc Rayman informs me that the actual target orbit for Dawn is 210 km
above the nominal Vesta radius of 265 km. Dawn reached this
Low Altitude Mapping Orbit (LAMO) on Dec 8, and began science observations
on Dec 12.

Table of Recent (orbital) Launches
 ----------------------------------
Date UT       Name            Launch Vehicle  Site            Mission    INTL.
                                                                          DES.
Nov  4 1251   Glonass-M No. 43) Proton-M/Briz-M    Baykonur LC81     Navsat    64A
              Glonass-M No. 44)                                      Navsat    64B
              Glonass-M No. 45)                                      Navsat    64C
Nov  8 2016   Fobos-Grunt       Zenit-2SB          Baykonur LC45    Mars probe 65A
Nov  9 0321   Yaogan Weixing 12) Chang Zheng 4B    Taiyuan           Imaging?  66B
              Tianxun 1        )                                     Imaging   66A
Nov 14 0414   Soyuz TMA-22      Soyuz-FG           Baykonur LC1      Spaceship 67A
Nov 20 0015   Shiyan Weixing 4 ) Chang Zheng 2D    Jiuquan           Tech?     68B
              Chuanxin 1-03    )                                     Tech      68A
Nov 25 1910   Asiasat 7         Proton-M/Briz-M    Baykonur LC200/39 Comms     69B
Nov 26 1502   MSL               Atlas V 541        Canaveral SLC41  Mars probe 70A
Nov 28 0826   Glonass-M No. 46  Soyuz-2-1B         Plesetsk LC43     Navsat    71A
Nov 29 1850   Yaogan Weixing 13 Chang Zheng 2C     Taiyuan           Radar?    72A
Dec  1 2107   Beidou DW10       Chang Zheng 3A     Xichang           Navsat    73A
Dec 11 1117   Amos  5  )        Proton-M/Briz-M    Baykonur          Comms     74A
              Luch 5A  )                                             DataRelay 74B
Dec 12 0121   JSE Reda-3 gouki  H-IIA 202          Tanegashima       Radar     75A
Dec 17 0203   Pleiades HR1 )    Soyuz ST-A         CSG ELS           Imaging   76A
              Elisa 1      )                                         Sigint    76
              Elisa 2      )                                         Sigint    76
              Elisa 3      )                                         Sigint    76
              Elisa 4      )                                         Sigint    76
              Fasat-Charlie)                                         Imaging   76
Dec 19 1641   Nigcomsat 1R      Chang Zheng 3BE    Xichang LC2       Comms     77A

Table of Recent (suborbital) Launches
----------------------------------

Date UT     Payload/Flt Name  Launch Vehicle  Site                   Mission    Apogee/km

Nov  2 0750   RV               Jericho III        Palmachim           Test         300?
Nov  3 0645   RV               Topol'             Plesetsk            Test        1000?
Nov  6        NASA 36.264UH    Black Brant 9      White Sands         Astronomy    250?
Nov 15 0330   Agni RV          Agni IV            Chandipur           Test         900
Nov 17 1130   AHW Flight 1A    STARS              Kauai LC42          Hypersonic  1000?
Nov 25 2300   Orion V05        Orion              Natal               Test         100?
Nov 27 0910   TEXUS 48         VSB-30             Kiruna              Micrograv    270?
Dec  2 2200   VS30 V08         VS-30              Natal               Space sci?   173?
Dec  3 0721   ICI-3            VS-30/Orion        Svalbard            Auroral      354
Dec 19?       MR-30 payload    MR-30              Kapustin Yar        Test         304

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |  phone : (617) 495-7176            |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |          jcm at cfa.harvard.edu       |
| JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |