[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 647

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.org
Sun Sep 25 18:55:33 EDT 2011

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 647                                       2011 Sep 25 Somerville, MA, USA

UARS
----

NASA's UARS satellite reentered on Sep 24. The Upper Atmosphere Research
Satellite was deployed in 1991 from the Space Shuttle Discovery on
mission STS-48. UARS studied the depletion of the ozone layer, confirming
that CFCs cause the `ozone hole', and improved models of upper atmosphere
chemistry, including studies of methane in the Antarctic, sulphur dioxide
from volcanoes, and global wind measurements.

UARS reportedly began entering the atmosphere over the Pacific but  the
exact time and location are not known. Reports of debris entry over
Canada are unconfirmed, and my best conclusion bast on these estimates
and the absence of confirmed observations over the west coast is that
entry was probably over the Pacific SE to E of Hawaii around 0410-0415
UTC with the debris falling over a several hundred km range in the ocean
falling short of the Oregon/Washington coastline.

The official USSTRATCOM report says: "24 September. 04:16 UTC +/- 53
minutes ascending 30.9 N 218.9E over the Pacific." Be very careful with
this - they don't really mean that it reentered over the Pacific, just
that that is the midpoint of the range of uncertainty. So this
translates to 0323 UTC to 0509 UTC. At the NASA press conference, Nick
Johnson said he thought a +/- 20 minute range was probable so 0356 to
0436 UTC. During that period of time UARS would have passed from the
Pacific near New Zealand (0352), over the Pacific south of Hawaii
(0407), crossing into N America over Portland, Oregon (0418) and then up
over Canada, crossing the Labrador coast (0428) and then SE over the
Atlantic to Mauritania (0440).

I would have expected the DSP missile early warning satellites to have
detected infrared radiation from the entry - they do keep a close watch
on the eastern Pacific in case of a submarine-launched missile attack on
the US. It is a bit surprising to me that there's apparently no
information from that source - or at least none that's been admitted.

Note that ROSAT, which will reenter later this year, is much less massive
overall but has larger parts that will survive reentry.

Large Uncontrolled Reentries
-----------------------------

Here's a list of big things falling from orbit - excluding
controlled deorbits - in order of mass (my best estimate of mass at reentry time).

 Name                     Reentry date Metric       Reentry Location      Type of spacecraft
                                        tons

 Skylab                   1979 Jul 11    76   31.8S 124.4E  Australia       Space station
 Polyus                   1987 May 15    70?                Pacific         Test satellite
 Saturn S-II-13           1975 Jan 11    49   34N    19W    Atlantic        Rocket stage
 DOS-6 (Salyut-7/K1686)   1991 Feb  7    40   34.9S  63.8W  Argentina       Space station
 Kosmos-1917/1918/1919    1988 Feb 17    22?                                Navsats/rocket stage
 DOS-3 (Kosmos-557)       1973 May 22    19                 Indian Ocean    Space station
 Almaz OPS-1 (Salyut-2)   1973 May 28	 19		    Pacific	    Space station
 Apollo BP-15/Saturn SA-7 1964 Sep 22	 18   26.4S 69.0E   Indian Ocean    Dummy spaceship/Rocket stage
 3MS 170 (Kosmos-419)	  1971 May 12	 18?				    Mars Probe/Rocket stage
 Kosmos-154 (L-1)	  1967 Apr 19	 18?		    Atlantic	    Moonship/Rocket stage
 Saturn SA-5		  1966 Apr 30	 17		    Brazil	    Rocket stage/Nosecone
 Proton-4		  1969 Jul 24	 17				    Research satellite
 Kosmos-305/Blok-D        1969 Oct 22    17?                Australia?      Moon probe/rocket stage
 Blok DM-2 No. 17L        1987 Feb 13    17?                                Rocket stage
 Apollo BP-13/Saturn SA-6 1964 Jun  1	 17   13.6N 179E    Pacific	    Dummy spaceship/rocket stage
 Proton UR-500 No. 207	  1965 Sep 18	 13				    Rocket stage
 Proton UR-500 No. 209	  1966 Jan  4	 13				    Rocket stage
 Proton UR-500 No. 212    1966 Aug 21    13                                 Rocket stage
 Saturn S-IVB-204         1968 Jan 23    13                 Australia       Rocket stage
 HS-601 Model/CZ-2E       1990 Oct  1    13?                                Dummy comms sat/stage
 Proton-3 (N-4 No 4)      1966 Sep 16    12                                 Research satellite
 Saturn S-IVB-502         1968 Apr 26    12                                 Rocket stage
 Lunar Module LTA-2R      1968 Sep  3    12                 Pacific         Dummy spaceship
 Saturn S-IVB-205         1968 Oct 18    12                 Indian Ocean    Rocket stage
 Blok-D                   1969 Sep 27    11?                                Rocket stage
 Pegasus 1/SA-9           1978 Sep 17    10     7S 15E      Angola          Rocket stage/science sat
 Pegasus 2/SA-8           1979 Nov  3    10                 Atlantic        Rocket stage/science sat
 Pegasus 3/SA-10          1969 Aug  4    10     3.4N 56.7E  Indian Ocean    Rocket stage/science sat
 82LB72 LVI-1             1976 Dec 23    10?                                Dummy spaceship
 82LB72 LVI-3             1978 Mar 23    10?                                Dummy spaceship
 82LB72 LVI-4             1979 Jun 16    10?                                Dummy spaceship
 EPN 3.695 (Kosmos-1871)  1987 Aug 10    10?                                Dummy spy satellite
 EPN 3.695 (Kosmos-1873)  1987 Sep 14    10?                                Dummy spy satellite

Some of the above list represent rocket stages that got stranded in low orbit
with all their fuel aboard. It's possible that in some cases the fuel got vented before
reentry, in which case the mass would be much less. Kosmos-1917-1918-1919 is
one example.  A few examples, like Polyus, were propulsive deorbits done
accidentally, which I count as 'uncontrolled'.

Notorious reentries of smaller satellites

 Mars-96                  1996 Nov 17     7                     Bolivia      Mars probe
 Kosmos-954               1978 Jan 24     4? (Nuclear reactor)  Canada       Spy satellite
 Kosmos-1402              1983 Jan 23     4  (Nuclear reactor)  Indian Ocean Spy satellite
 Solar Max                1989 Dec  2     2                     Indian Ocean Astronomy sat
 CORONA 1014              1964 Dec  6     2                     Venezuela    Spy satellite
 USA 193                  2008 Feb 21     2  (destroyed by ASAT to prevent reentry)

Large controlled destructive reentries
---------------------------------------
 Add to this list: 134 Shuttle External Tanks, 30t each
                    60 Ariane EPC stages, 12 to 14t each
                     2 Energiya core stages, 80? t each
   which completed less than 1 complete orbit.

 Mir                      2001 Mar 23    120     Pacific                      Space station
 Columbia (STS-107)       2003 Feb  1    106     Texas                        Spaceship
 Salyut-6/Kosmos-1267     1982 Jul 29     35     Pacific                      Space station
 Saturn S-IVB-501/LTA-10R 1967 Nov  9     30?    W Pacific                    Rocket stage/dummy spaceship
 Salyut-5                 1977 Aug  8     19     Pacific                      Space station
 Salyut-1                 1971 Oct 11     19     Pacific                      Space station
 Salyut-3                 1975 Jan 24     19     Pacific                      Space station
 Salyut-4                 1977 Feb  2     19     Pacific                      Space station
 ATV Jules Verne          2008 Sep 29     19?    Pacific                      Cargo ship
 ATV Johannes Kepler      2011 Jun 21     19?    Pacific                      Cargo ship
 Kosmos-1870 (Mech-K)     1989 Jul 29     18?    Pacific                      Radar satellite
 Almaz-1 (Mech-KU)        1992 Oct 17     18?    Pacific                      Radar satellite
 HTV-1                    2009 Nov  1     16?    Pacific                      Cargo ship
 HTV-2                    2011 Mar 30     16?    Pacific                      Cargo ship
 Kosmos-929 (TKS)         1978 Feb  2     15     Pacific                      Cargo ship
 Kosmos-1443              1983 Sep 19     15     Pacific                      Cargo ship
 GRO                      2000 Jun  4     15     Pacific                      Astronomy sat
 LACROSSE 1               1997 Mar 25     14?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 LACROSSE 2               2011 Mar 26?    14?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 Saturn S-IVB-206         1973 May 25     14     31N 176W Pacific             Rocket stage
 Saturn S-IVB-207         1973 Jul 28     14     22N 177W Pacific             Rocket stage
 Saturn S-IVB-208         1973 Nov 16     14?    26N 170W Pacific             Rocket stage
 Saturn S-IVB-210         1975 Jul 16     14?    13N 177W Pacific             Rocket stage
 KH11-1                   1979 Jan 28     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 KH11-2                   1981 Aug 23     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 KH11-3                   1982 Oct 30     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 KH11-4                   1984 Nov 23     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 KH11-5                   1985 Aug 13     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 CRYSTAL (USA 6)          1994 Oct 20     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 CRYSTAL (USA 27)         1992 Jun?       13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 CRYSTAL (USA 33)         1996 May        13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 CRYSTAL (USA 86)         2000 Jun  5     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite
 CRYSTAL (USA 116)        2008 Nov 18     13?    Pacific?                     Spy satellite

Large sats blown up before reentry
-----------------------------------
 Saturn S-IVB-203/AS-203  1966 Jul 15     15?  Pieces found in Peru and Africa

Large sats with controlled landings
-------------------------------------
 133 Space Shuttle flights 1981-2011      90-110
 Buran OK-1K               1988 Nov 15    79

Large stuff still in orbit
---------------------------
 International Space Station             410 +
 LACROSSE (USA 133)        -              15?
 LACROSSE (USA 152)        -              15?
 LACROSSE (USA 182)        -              15?
 CRYSTAL (USA 129)         -              14?
 CRYSTAL (USA 161)         -              14?
 CRYSTAL (USA 186)         -              14?
 CRYSTAL (USA 224)         -              14?
 Hubble Space Telescope    -              11

International Space Station
---------------------------

Soyuz TMA-21 undocked from the Poisk module at 0038 UTC on Sep 16
carrying Aleksandr Samokutyaev, Ron Garan and Andrey Borisenko.
Expedition 29 began at 0038 UTC on Sep 16 with Mike Fossum as commander,
and with flight engineers Sergey Volkov and Satoshi Furukawa.

Soyuz TMA-02M remains docked at the Station. Progress M-13M is scheduled
for launch Oct 31; Soyuz TMA-03M on Nov 12.

Soyuz statistics
-----------------

A reader has asked me to clarify that the Soyuz/Fregat which failed to
reach the correct orbit was due to procedures error (incorrect fuelling)
and was not a Fregat manufacturing or hardware failure. In general, I
have noticed anecdotally (small number statistics) that an increasing
number of failures have been due to procedural mistakes at launch time
(wrong amount of fuel, wrong software command, etc.), compared
to the old-school method of blowing the rocket up by getting the
plumbing wrong during manufacture. Another metric that would
be interesting to generate is to distinguish operator from manufacturer
errors, although this could be difficult - maybe inadequately clear
manufacturer's documentation is the root error for some operator
failures?

ZX-1A
-----

Following last month's launch failure, China has resumed successful flights.
The military communications satellite Zhongxing 1A (Chinasat 1A) was
launched on Sep 18 into geostationary transfer orbit using a Chang
Zheng (Long March) 3B.

Kosmos-2473
-----------

The first Garpun military communications satellite was launched on Sep
20 from Baykonur and given the cover name Kosmos-2473. Garpun is thought
to be a data relay satellite built by ISS Reshetnev. As of Sep 24 an
object from the launch (perhaps the Briz-M DTB tank) was being tracked
by the US in a 402 x 35586 km x 48.6 deg transfer orbit; it is reported
from Russian sources that the payload is actually in geosynchronous orbit.

Ariane 5
--------

The Arabsat 5C and SES-2 satellites were launched on Sep 21 by vehicle
561. Arabsat 5C is an Astrium/Thales Eurostar 3000 C-band/Ka-band
communications satellite  for Arab countries. SES-2 is an Orbital
Star-2.4 satellite for SES World Skies. The satellite carries a
communications payload with 24 C-band and 24 Ku-band transponders, and a
US Air Force infrared surveillance sensor experiment. The satellites
were deployed into a 250 x 35700 km x 1.9 deg transfer orbit.

IGS O-4
-------

On Sep 23 JAXA launched the IGS Optical-4 (Jouhou shuushuu eisei kougaku
4 gouki)  satellite to replenish Japan's imaging spy satellite
constellation.

Atlantic Bird 7
---------------

Eutelsat's Atlantic Bird 7 communications satellite, an Astrium Eurostar
3000, was launched into geostationary transfer orbit on Sep 24 by a
Zenit-3SL rocket. This was the first launch by the new Sea Launch
company, which is 95 percent owned by RKK Energia. The old Sea Launch,
which declared bankruptcy, was a joint venture led by Boeing involving
Yuzhnoe, who build the Zenit-2SB core vehicle, Energia who build the
Blok DM-SL third stage and Kvaerner who built the floating launch
platform. There were 30 Sea Launch missions between 1999 and 2009.

KH-7/KH8/KH-9 declassification
-------------------------------

The NRO has declassified its film-return satellites GAMBIT and HEXAGON.
You may enjoy the images at http://planet4589.org/jcm/pics/11/gambit/index.html
The declassified docs are at http://planet4589.org/space/docs/nro

Table of Recent (orbital) Launches
 ----------------------------------
Date UT       Name            Launch Vehicle  Site            Mission    INTL.
                                                                          DES.
Aug  3 1843   Radioskaf-V       -                  EVA, ISS          Comms   98-67CK
Aug  5 1625   Juno              Atlas 551          Canaveral SLC41   Probe     40A
Aug  6 2252   Astra 1N )        Ariane 5ECA        Kourou ELA3       Comms     41A
              BSAT 3c  )                                             Comms     41B
Aug 10 1615   Paksat 1R         Chang Zheng 3B     Xichang           Comms     42A
Aug 15 2257   Haiyang 2         Chang Zheng 4B     Taiyuan LC2       Rem.Sens. 43A
Aug 17 0712   NigeriaSat-X)                                          Tech      44C
              NigeriaSat-2)                                          Imaging   44B
              Edusat      )                                          Tech      44A
              Sich-2      )     Dnepr              Yasniy            Rem.Sens. 44G
              Rasat       )                                          Imaging   44D
              AprizeSat-5 )                                          Comms/AIS 44E
              AprizeSat-6 )                                          Comms/AIS 44F
              BPA-2       )                                          Tech      44H
Aug 17 2125   Ekspress AM-4     Proton-M/Briz-M    Baykonur          Comms     45A
Aug 18 0928   SJ11-04           Chang Zheng 2C     Jiuquan           Unknown   F02
Aug 24 1300   Progress M-12M    Soyuz-U            Baykonur          Cargo     F03
Sep 10 1308   GRAIL-A   )       Delta 7920H        Canaveral SLC17B  Lunar     46A
              GRAIL-B   )                                            Lunar     46B
Sep 18 1633   Zhongxing 1A      Chang Zheng 3B(E?) Xichang           Comms     47A
Sep 20 2247   Kosmos-2473       Proton-M/Briz-M    Baykonur          Comms     48A
Sep 21 2138   Arabsat 5C  )     Ariane 5ECA        Kourou ELA3       Comms     49A
              SES 2       )                                          Comms     49B
Sep 23 0436   IGS O-4           H-2A 202           Tanegashima       Imaging   50A
Sep 24 2018   Atlantic Bird 7   Zenit-3SL         SL Odyssey, Pacific Comms    51A?

Table of Recent (suborbital) Launches
----------------------------------

Date UT     Payload/Flt Name  Launch Vehicle  Site                   Mission    Apogee/km

Aug 11 1445   HTV-2b           Minotaur 4 Lite    Vandenberg SLC8     Test         100?
Aug 27 0320   RV x 6?          Bulava             K-535, White Sea    Test        1000?
Sep 1  1343   ARAV?            Terrier Oriole?    Kauai               Target       150?
Sep 1  1344   Aegis KV         SM-3 Block 1B      CG-70, Kauai        Interceptor  150?
Sep 3  0946   RV               Topol'             Plesetsk            Test        1000?

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |  phone : (617) 495-7176            |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |          jcm at cfa.harvard.edu       |
| JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |