[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 707

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.org
Wed Dec 31 16:12:22 EST 2014

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 707                                                     2014 Dec 31     Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

Expedition 42 continues with commander Barry Wilmore, FE-1 Aleksandr
Samokutyaev, FE-2 Elena Serova, FE-3 Anton Shkaplerov, FE-4 Samantha
Cristoforetti, and FE-5 Terry Virts. Soyuz TMA-14M is docked at Poisk;
Soyuz TMA-15M is docked at Rassvet; Progress M-25M is docked at Pirs;
ATV-5 Georges Lemaitre is docked at Zvezda. Dragon CRS-5 (SC7) is being
prepared for launch at Cape Canaveral.

Venus Express and Venus Climate Orbiter
---------------------------------------

The European Space Agency's Venus Express probe has concluded its
mission. The probe was launched on 2005 Nov 9 and entered Venus orbit on
2006 Apr 11. On Nov 28 the probe, in a 328 x 63095 km x 89.9 deg polar
elliptical orbit around the planet, ran out of propellant and lost
attitude control, resulting in loss of contact with Earth (some
fragments of telemetry were intermittently received afterwards). With no
further orbit raising burns, the probe's pericenter height will drop and
the probe will burn up in the Venusian atmosphere early in 2015.

Meanwhile, the ISAS team at Japan's JAXA space agency has high hopes for
its delayed Venus mission in 2015. The Akatsuki spacecraft (Venus
Climate Orbiter, Planet-C) was launched on 2010 May 20 into a 0.72 x
1.07 AU x 2.0 deg heliocentric orbit which took it to a Venus encounter
on 2010 Dec 6. However the probe's main bipropellant engine failed to
complete the orbit insertion burn, and Akatsuki flew on past Venus.
During 2011 Oct the engine's oxidizer supply was dumped to reduce mass,
and the smaller monopropellant hydrazine reaction control thrusters were
used to tweak the probe's post-flyby solar orbit to set up a late 2015
re-encounter with Venus. The probe is now in a 0.611 x 0.722 AU x 3.5
deg orbit around the Sun compared to Venus' 0.72 x 0.73 AU x 3.4 deg
(the inclination is reported relative to the ecliptic plane of the
Earth's orbit). It is therefore the innermost of any of humanity's
currently active artificial planets; only the Messenger probe in orbit
around Mercury is closer to the Sun. Mariner 10 and Helios 1 and 2, in
the 1970s, also ventured into sub-Cytherean space. Akatsuki will reach
perhelion on Feb 11 and again on Aug 28 before beginning the approach to
Venus. The ISAS team have not yet finalized the new orbit insertion plan
- trying to slow down enough to be captured by Venus while using only
the RCS thrusters will be an impressive trick, and I wish them the best
of luck in trying to pull it off. Akatsuki's unexpected stay in
solar orbit has let it focus on non-Venusian science for the time being -
scientists have used its radio signals to Earth to probe
the solar wind, revealing acoustic waves in the outer solar corona up
to 20 solar radii (Miyamoto et al. 2014, Astrophysical J. 797, 51).

Yaogan 25
---------

China launched the Yaogan 25 mission from Jiuquan on Dec 10. YG-25
consists of a main satellite and two subsatellites in an 1100 km, 63 deg
orbit, and is the fifth such mission.

      Mission               Main Satellite   Launch date    Current orbit
      ---------                                            peri  apo   inc   RA of node

      Yaogan Triplet 1      Yaogan 9         2010 Mar  5   967 x 1212 x 63.4  33.7
      Yaogan Triplet 2      Yaogan 16        2012 Nov 25  1039 x 1140 x 63.4 319.8
      Yaogan Triplet 3      Yaogan 17        2013 Sep  1  1053 x 1127 x 63.4 105.5
      Yaogan Triplet 4      Yaogan 20        2014 Aug  9  1079 x 1100 x 63.4  33.9
      Yaogan Triplet 5      Yaogan 25        2014 Dec 10  1089 x 1097 x 63.4 320.2

NROL-35
-------

On Dec 13 a United Launch Alliance Atlas V was sent into highly
elliptical orbit with an inclination of 63 deg. The payload is probably
a signals intelligence satellite with an attached SBIRS-HEO early
warning sensor as a secondary payload. The early stages of the launch
were observed by many people in the Los Angeles area; the Centaur
venting was seen from the UK and Ireland at about 0530 UTC. This mission
used the new RL-10C-1 upper stage engine for the first time (refurbished
from Delta IV RL-10B-2 engines replacing the RL10A-4 used previously); a
three-burn Centaur profile appears to have been used, with spacecraft
separation about 0520 UTC into a 2101 x 37748 km x 62.9 deg orbit
(according to observations of the payload by hobbyists). The Centaur is
thought to have been deorbited at 0507 UTC with reentry around 1330 UTC,
and was not cataloged; Cees Bassa's analysis of observations suggest the
post burn orbit was -140 x 36615 km x 63.9 deg.

Yamal 401
---------

Yamal 401, a communications satellite for the Russian corporation Gazprom Space Systems,
was launched into geostationary orbit by a Proton on Dec 16. The Briz stage
reached -449 x 170 km x 51 deg at 0025 UTC, 171 x 173 km x 51.5 deg at 0031 UTC,
264 x 4996 km x 50.0 deg at 0141 UTC, and 383 x 35654 km x 47.7 deg at 0402 UTC.
The Briz DTB drop-tank was jettisoned at 0404 UTC and the Briz/Yamal coasted to
apogee, with a final burn at 0903 to 0916 UTC delivering Yamal to a 1421 minute GEO
drift orbit. The DTB is being tracked in a 402 x 35534 km x 47.6 deg orbit as 40345.

O3b Flight 3
------------

Another quartet of O3b satellites for broadband internet distribution
was launched on Dec 18. Each satellite carries an array of 12 Ka-band
spot beam dishes and provides capacity for internet providers in the
developing world. The Soyuz ST-B (Arianespace version of the Soyuz-2-1b)
took off from the Centre Spatial Guyanais and placed the Fregat S/N
133-01 upper stage in a -1167 x 192 km x 5.3 deg suborbit at 1936 UTC
Dec 18. Fregat's first burn, from 1937 to 1941 UTC, reached a 153 x 227
km x 5.2 deg parking orbit. A second, long, burn from 1949 to 1958 UTC
put the stack in a 242 x 7875 km x 3.2 deg transfer orbit. After the
stack coasted to apogee, burn 3 at 2119 to 2124 UTC circularized the
orbit and reduced inclination to 7820 x 7840 km x 0.04 deg. O3b
spacecraft FM10 and FM11 were ejected at 2128 UTC; a small further burn
at 2143 UTC adjusted the Fregat orbit and spacecraft FM9 and FM12 were
ejected at 2149 UTC. Further Fregat burns lowered the empty stage to a
7698 x 7836 km x 0.06 deg orbit.

Kondor-E
--------

The second Kondor radar imaging satellite built by NPO Mashinostroenie
(Moscow/Reutov)  was launched into a 498 x 501 km x 74.7 deg orbit on
Dec 19 aboard a Strela launch vehicle, which is a refurbished UR-100NU
ballistic missile launched from a silo. This satellite, Kondor-E No. 2,
is the export version of the spacecraft and has reportedly been sold to
an unnamed foreign customer, reportedly the Defense Intelligence
organization of the South African National Defense Force. The South
African government refuses to confirm or deny this, raising the question
of who will register this satellite with the UN.  The balance of
currently available evidence seems to be that South Africa is the
actual, if secret, legal owner of the satellite. It is possible that for
international regulatory purposes the satellite will be given the
Kosmos-2502 code name and will be registered by Russia. In my own
satellite catalogs, however, I now have separate fields for 'UN state of
registry' and 'actual owner state' and propose to count this as a South
African satellite for statistical purposes pending further evidence one
way or the other.

Angara-A5
---------

The Khrunichev Angara-A5's first stage consists of four strapon URM-1 rockets,