[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 807

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.com
Tue Jun 28 00:02:33 EDT 2022

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 807                                                      2022 Jun 27        Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

Expedition 67 continues with Oleg Artem'ev, Denis Matveev,  Kjell
Lindgren, Robert Hines, Samantha Cristoforetti, and Jessica Watkins
aboard the ISS.

On Jun 1, the Progress MS-18 cargo ship undocked from Zvezda at 0802 UTC and was
deorbited over the Pacific at 1151 UTC.

On Jun 3, the Progress MS-20 cargo ship (spacecraft 450, ISS mission
81P) was launched from Baykonur at 0932 UTC and docked with Zvezda at
1302 UTC.

On Jun 16 at 1903 UTC Progress MS-20 made a 275s burn to adjust the ISS orbit
by 0.5m/s, avoiding a potential encounter with Russian ASAT debris object 1982-092BYX.

On Jun 20 at 1520 UTC Cygnus NG-17 attempted an ISS reboost, but the
engine shut down after 5s. The reboost was completed successfully on Jun
25 at 1742 UTC with a 301s, 0.3m/s burn.

Chinese Space Station
----------------------

Shenzhou 14 was launched on Jun 5 at 0244 UTC. Crew were Chen Dong, Liu Yang and Cai Xuzhe;
they will carry out the TGZR-3 (Tiangong Zairen 3, Tiangong Crewed Mission 3) expedition.
The ship arrived at the Chinese Space Station at 0942 UTC the same day, docking at the Tianhe
module nadir port.

CALT launches
-------------

China's CALT launched a CZ-2C from Xichang at 0400 UTC Jun 2, placing 9
commercial comm/navigation satellites in 600 x 617 km x 50.0 deg orbit
for the Geely group. The satellites are intended to support autonomously driving cars.

The satellites are called Geely Xinguo 01 zu 01 to 09 xing (Geely Constellation
Group 01 Sats 01 to 09), but also  GeeSAT-5(01) to GeeSAT-5(09). Probably the first nomenclature
is used by CALT or the manufacturer, and the second by the GeeSpace operators.

SAST launches
-------------

Three Yaogan 35 satellites were launched on a CZ-2D from Xichang on Jun 23.
The third Gaofen-12 radar satellite was launched from Jiuquan on Jun 27 to a 2200 LTDN SSO.

Tianxing
--------

China's EXPACE launched a Kuaizhou-1A rocket from Jiuquan and placed the
Tianxing-1 space environment satellite in orbit on Jun 22.

Nilesat 301
-----------

Egypt's Nilesat 301 communications satellite was launched to geotransfer orbit on a Falcon 9
on Jun 8. The satellite is a 4000 kg Thales Alenia Spacebus 4000B2 with Ku and Ka band
television broadcasting payloads.

Astra Rocket 3.3
----------------

Astra launched another Rocket 3.3, LV0010, from Canaveral on Jun 12. The
mission carried two MIT-Lincoln Labs TROPICS 3U cubesats to study storm
precipitation and humidty. The second stage shut down early, 7m 21s
after launch, and the vehicle failed to reach orbit, reentering a few
hundred km west of the Senegalese coast.

Starlink
---------

Starlink Group 4-19 (53 satellites) was launched from Kennedy Space Center on Jun 17.

SARah
------

Germany's X-band radar spy satellite, SARah-1, was launched on a Falcon 9 from Vandenberg
on Jun 18. The satellite, with a mass around 4000 kg, is a successor to the SAR-Lupe
series and is operated by the Bundeswehr (German armed forces).

Globalstar rideshare
--------------------

On Jun 19 SpaceX launched a Falcon 9 with a single initially
acknowledged payload, Globalstar-2 FM15. However, suspicions of
additional secret payloads being delpoyed were confirmed when
Space-Track cataloged four such payloads, USA 328 to USA 331.

Onboard views of the vehicle prior to Globalstar deployment showed an empty grid adapter on the front
end of the vehicle similar to that used on Transporter-2 for Starlink
deployments. Another similar adapter was used on Transporter-3 and may
have been used to deploy the NRO payloads USA 320 to USA 323.

The Falcon 9 reached a 535 km circular orbit at the first cutoff of the second stage (SECO-1).
At this stage, around 0440 UTC, the four secret payloads were likely deployed. At 0532 UTC
the stage fired to enter an orbit of around 535 x 1120 km, and at 0614 UTC the third stage
two burn circularized the orbit at 1126 km. Globalstar was deployed at 0620:57 UTC.
The third stage made a fourth burn to deorbit itself soon after.

Nuri
----

South Korea's second launch of the Nuri (KSLV-2) rocket was successful
on Jun 21. A 1300 kg ballast payload (Wiseong-monache, mockup satellite)
and the 180 kg PVSAT (Seogneung geomheung wiseong, performance
verification satellite) were placed in a  700 km sun-sync orbit with
15;36 local time orbital plane. PVSAT will later deploy 4 cubesats.

Ariane 5
--------

Ariane 5 mission VA257, vehicle L5116, was launched on Jun 22 and placed
two satellites in geotransfer orbit. Measat 3D is a 5648 kg Airbus
Eurostar 3000 satellite with C, Ku and Ka-band comms payloads for the
Malaysian operator MEASAT; it also carries a Q/V propagation study
payload. GSAT-24 is a 4181 kg ISRO I3K satellite with a Ku-band
television broadcasting payload, to be operated by India's NSIL.

Errata
---------

In the last JSR I mentioned "Kosmos-2255 had a similar orbit to the Kosmos-2251 satellite (which
failed)...". I meant Kosmos-2551, not 2251.

There were seven Jilin-1 GF03D sats, not 6, on the May 5 (not May 6) launch.

Table of Recent Orbital Launches
 ----------------------------------

Date UT       Name			     Launch Vehicle	 Site		 Mission  INTL.  Catalog  Perigee Apogee  Incl	 Notes
May  2 2249   E-Space Demo 1                     Electron                  Mahia LC1A       Comms    47   522 x 532 x 97.5
              E-Space Demo 2                                                                Comms    47
              E-Space Demo 3                                                                Comms    47
              SpaceBEE-140 to 155                                                           Comms    47
              SpaceBEE NZ-15 to NZ-22                                                       Comms    47
              BRO-6                                                                         Sigint   47
              AuroraSat-1                                                                   Tech     47
              Unicorn-2                                                                     Imaging  47
              TRSI-2                                                                        Tech     47
              TRSI-3                                                                        Tech     47
              MyRadar-1                                                                     Weather  47
              Copia                                                                         Tech     47
May  5 0238   Jilin-1 KF-01C                      Chang Zheng 2D            Taiyuan         Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-27                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-28                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-29                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-30                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-31                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-32                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
              Jilin-1 GF-03D-33                                                             Imaging  48    528 x 545 x 97.7
May  6 0942   Starlink (Group 4-17)               Falcon 9                  Kennedy LC39A   Comms    49    528 x 545 x 97.7
May  9 1549   KSF2-A                                                     ION SVC005, LEO    Sigint   33AN  492 x 511 x 97.4
May  9 1756   Tianzhou-4                          Chang Zheng 7             Wenchang LC201  Cargo    50A   376 x 392 x 41.5
May  9 1858   KSF2-B                                                     ION SVC005, LEO    Sigint   33AP  492 x 512 x 97.4
May 13 0709   Jilin-1 MF-01A/R                    Shuang Quxian 1           Jiuquan         Imaging  F02 -6300 x 60? x 97.0
May 13 2207   Starlink (Group 4-13)               Falcon 9                 Vandenberg SLC4E Comms    51
May 14 2040   Starlink (Group 4-15)               Falcon 9                  Canaveral LC40  Comms    52
May 18 1059   Starlink (Group 4-18)               Falcon 9                  Kennedy LC39A   Comms    53
May 19 0803   Kosmos-2556 (Bars-M)                Soyuz-2-1a                Plesetsk LC43/4 Imaging  54A  337 x 556 x 97.7
May 19 2254   Starliner OFT-2                     Atlas V N22               Canaveral LC41 Spaceship 55A  187 x 367 x 51.6
May 20 1030   CGSTL LEO Test Sat 1                Chang Zheng 2C/YZ-1S      Jiuquan         Comms    56
              CGSTL LEO Test Sat 2                                                          Comms    56
              DTSW                                                                          Comms    56
May 25 1835   Transporter-5                                                                 Deployer 57
              Vigoride VR-3                                                                 Deployer 57
              Sherpa-AC1                                                                    Deployer 57AH  519 x 536 x 97.5
              ION SCV006                                                                    Deployer 57AF  520 x 536 x 97.5
              CICERO-2 V1                                                                   GNSS-RO  57
              CICERO-2 V2                                                                   GNSS-RO  57
              SharedSat 2141                                                                Tech     57
              PTD-3                                                                         Tech     57
              Lemur-2 Karen B                                                           Com/GNSS-RO  57E   525 x 536 x 97.5
              Lemur-2 TennysonLily                                                      Com/GNSS-RO  57A   525 x 538 x 97.5
              Lemur-2 VanDenDries                                                       Com/GNSS-RO  57B   526 x 537 x 97.5
              Lemur-2 Mimi1307                                                          Com/GNSS-RO  57AP  516 x 536 x 97.5
              Sejong-1                                                                      Imaging  57J   523 x 538 x 97.5
              GHGSat-C3                                                                     Imaging  57F   525 x 537 x 97.5
              GHGSat-C4                                                                     Imaging  57Q   523 x 536 x 97.5
              GHGSat-C5                                                                     Imaging  57N   523 x 537 x 97.5
              Spark-2                                                                       Com      57AR  516 x 536 x 97.5
              Urdaneta-Armsat1                                                              Imaging  57
              Planetum-1                                                                    Tech     57
              Spin-1                                                                        Tech     57
              CPOD 1                                                                        Tech     57
              CPOD 2                                                                        Tech     57
              CNCE V4                                                                       Tech     57
              CNCE V5                                                                       Tech     57
              Foresail-1                                                                    Tech     57
              Connecta T1.1                                                                 Com      57
              Centauri 5                                                                    Com      57
              Nusat 28                                                                      Imaging  57
              Nusat 29                                                                      Imaging  57
              Nusat 30                                                                      Imaging  57
              Nusat 31                                                                      Imaging  57
              Varisat-1C                                                                    Com      57
              AMS                                                                           Tech     57P
              BRONCOSAT-1                                                                   Tech     57
              Hawk 5A                                                                       Sigint   57AB
              Hawk 5B                                                                       Sigint   57AA
              Hawk 5C                                                                       Sigint   57Y
              ICEYE X17                                                                     Radar    57AG
              ICEYE X18                                                                     Radar    57T
              ICEYE X19                                                                     Radar    57AC
              ICEYE X20                                                                     Radar    57AD
              ICEYE X24                                                                     Radar    57Z
Jun  2 0400   Geely Xingguo 01 zu 01 xing )       Chang Zheng 2C            Xichang         Comm/Nav 58A  600 x 617 x 50.0
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 02 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58B
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 03 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58C
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 04 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58D
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 05 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58E
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 06 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58F
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 07 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58G
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 08 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58H
              Geely Xingguo 01 zu 09 xing )                                                 Comm/Nav 58J
Jun  3 0932   Progress MS-20                      Soyuz-2-1a                Baykonur        Cargo    59A  189 x 220 x 51.7
Jun  5 0244   Shenzhou 14                         Chang Zheng 2F            Jiuquan        Spaceship 60A  194 x 321 x 41.5
Jun  8 2104   Nilesat 301                         Falcon 9                  Canaveral LC40  Comms    61A  313 x 44926 x 18.7
Jun 12 1743   TROPICS 1                           Rocket 3.3                Canaveral LC46  Sci      F03  -1250 x 532 x 29.5?
              TROPICS 2                                                                     Sci      F03  -1250 x 532 x 29.5?
Jun 17 1608   Starlink (Group 4-19)               Falcon 9                  Kennedy LC39A   Comms    62    253 x 327 x 53.2
Jun 18 1419   SARah-1                             Falcon 9                  Vandenberg SLC4E Radar   63A   743 x 751 x 98.4
Jun 19 0427   Globalstar-2 FM19                   Falcon 9                  Canaveral LC40  Comms    64   1111 x 1125 x 52.0
              USA 328                                                                       Sigint?  64    520 x  531 x 53.0
              USA 329                                                                       Sigint?  64    520 x  531 x 53.0
              USA 330                                                                       Sigint?  64    520 x  531 x 53.0
              USA 331                                                                       Sigint?  64    520 x  531 x 53.0
Jun 21 0700   Wiseong-mosache                     Nuri                      Naro            Dummy    65    694 x  708 x 98.0
              PVSAT                                                                         Tech     65    695 x  704 x 98.0
Jun 22 0208   Tianxing-1                          Kuaizhou-1A               Jiuquan         Sci      66A   275 x  290 x 96.8
Jun 22 2150   Measat-3D                           Ariane 5ECA+              Kourou ELA3     Comms    67    274 x 35814 x 6.0
              GSAT-24                                                                       Comms    67    260 x 35739 x 6.0
Jun 23 0222   Yaogan 35 02 zu 01 xing             Chang Zheng 2D            Xichang         Sigint?  68    488 x 500 x 35.0
              Yaogan 35 02 zu 02 xing                                                       Sigint?  68    488 x 500 x 35.0
              Yaogan 35 02 zu 03 xing                                                       Sigint?  68    488 x 500 x 35.0
Jun 27 1546   Gao Fen 12-03                       Chang Zheng 4C            Jiuquan         Radar?   69A   595 x 599 x 98.0

Table of Recent Suborbital Launches
-----------------------------------

On Jun 4, New Shepard flight NS-21 carried Evan L. Dick, Victor Correa Hespanha, Hamish Harding, Victor
Vescovo, Katya Ecahzarreta, and Jaison Robinson on a brief suborbital spaceflight.

Date UT       Payload/Flt Name Launch Vehicle      Site                  Mission    Apogee/km    Target

May  4 0304   RV?               Hwasong-8 LV?      Sunan?                Test          780       Sea of Japan
May 11 0131   Endurance         Oriole III         Svalbard              Atm. Sci      764       Arctic
May 12 0729   RV                NK SRBM            Sunan                 Training       90       Sea of Japan
Jun  4 1325   New Shepard       NS PM4-4           W Texas               Tourism       107       W Texas
Jun  6 1400   Agni RV           Agni 4             Kalam I.              Test          500?      Indian Ocean
Jun 14?       USN RV x 4?       Trident II D-5     Sub, Pacific          Test         1000?      Guam
Jun 14?       USN RV x 4?       Trident II D-5     Sub, Pacific          Test         1000?      Guam
Jun 16?       USN RV x 4?       Trident II D-5     Sub, Pacific          Test         1000?      Guam
Jun 16?       USN RV x 4?       Trident II D-5     Sub, Pacific          Test         1000?      Guam
Jun 24 0935   RockOn            Terrier Imp. Orion Wallops I             Education     117       Atlantic
Jun 24?       Dummy stage       Zoljanah           Semnan                Test          500?      Arabian Sea
Jun 26 0219   STORT             VS-30/IO?          Andoya                Hypersonic    100?      Norw. Sea

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |                                    |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |  twitter: @planet4589              |
| JSR: https://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  https://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |