[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 823

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.com
Thu Aug 24 00:42:33 EDT 2023

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 823                                                        2023 Aug 24      Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

Expedition 69 continues.

The Cygnus NG-19 cargo ship, S.S. Laurel Clark, was launched from Wallops Island on Aug 2.
The ISS SSRMS grappled it at 0852 UTC Aug 4 and berthed it at the Unity nadir location at 1228 UTC.

On Aug 9 astronauts Prokop'ev and Petelin made spacewalk VKD-60. They attached debris shields
to the Rassvet module and relocated the PRM portable workstation from Rassvet to Nauka.
They jettisoned an equipment bundle (RSPI-M launch shrouds from VKD-59, and launch restraint booms
from the PRM) at 2043:50 UTC, and jettisoned a bundle of decontamination towels at 2055:53 UTC.
The Poisk airlock was depressurized from 1426 to 2123 UTC, with the hatch open from 1444 to 2119 UTC.

The Progress MS-22 cargo ship undocked from the ISS Zvezda module at
2350:30 UTC Aug 20. It had been docked with ISS since Feb 11 and made 8
ISS orbit adjust burns. The ship made a deorbit burn at 0258 UTC and reentered over the
S Pacifc around 0335 UTC.

On Aug 23 at 0108 UTC Progress MS-24 was launched from Baykonur.

PSLV-C56
--------

India's ISRO launched the PSLV-C56 mission from Sriharikota on Jul 30 with a set of satellites
for Singapore. The main payload was the DS-SAR radar satellite for the Singapore government agency
DSTA, carrying an Israeli-built radar system. Small payloads include VELOX-AM, ARCADE and SCOOB-II
for Nanyang Technological University, Galassia-2 for the National Univ. of Singapore, the NuLion IoT relay
satellite for NuSpace of Singapore, and ORB-12 STRIDER. The latter satellite is a 12U cubesat for a consortium
led by Aliena of Singapore and built by the UK firm Orbital Astronautics.

CALT launches
-------------

On Aug 9 CALT launched a CZ-2C from Taiyuan carrying the Huanjing Jianzai 2-06 satellite, with an S-band
SAR radar for disaster assessment and environmental monitoring. The satellite is in sun-sync orbit
with 1000 LTDN orbital plane.

On Aug 12 CALT launched a CZ-3B from Xichang carrying Ludi Tance 4A to geotransfer orbit.
The satellite has an L-band radar and is planned to be the first radar imaging satellite at
synchronous altitude. On Aug 13 the satellite was in a 1417 x 35817 km x 23.8 deg orbit,
and by Aug 23 it was in a synchronous 35772 x 35803 km x 16.1 deg orbit over 89 deg East.

SAST launches
-------------

Fengyun 3F (FY3-06), a polar orbit weather sat, was launched from Jiuquan on Aug 3 to 1000 LTDN sun-sync orbit.

Gao Fen 12-04, a radar imaging remote-sensing satellite, was launched from Jiuquan to 0900 LTDN sun-sync
orbit on Aug 20.

CASIC/EXPACE launches
----------------------

Five Jiaotong satellites for HEAD Aerospace were launched on Aug 14 on a
KZ-1A from Xichang. They carry IoT/VDES communications payloads.

Gushenxing-1
-------------

The Xinghe Dongli (Galactic Energy) launch company flew its 7th
Gushenxing-1 rocket from Jiuquan at 0403 UTC Aug 10, placing seven imaging
payloads in orbit. Xiguang-1 01 is an imaging sat for Zhongke Xiguang (aka Xiopm Space) of
Xi'an;  Xingchi-1B is an imaging sat for Tuoyuan Shikong (Elliptic
SpaceTime) of Beijing; Xi'an Hangtou 88, 96, 104 and 112 are imaging
sats for Xi'an Hangtou (Xi'an Aerospace Investment Co.) The remaining
sat is known as Diwei Zhineng Yingji 1  or Henan Ligong 1. It is a joint
venture of Deweier Kongjian Jishu (Star Vision) of Hangzhou, Henan
Polytechnic of Jiaozuo, and Tianxun Kongjian Jishu (Skyscanner Space
Tech) of Suzhou. The 7 sats were placed in a 525 x 540 km x 97.5 deg
orbit with 10:22 local time orbital plane. The GSX-1 fourth stage has
not been cataloged and may have been deorbited; only 2 of 6 GSX-1 4th
stages from previous launches have been left in orbit.

Galaxy 37
---------

The Galaxy 37/Horizons-4 satellite is owned by the Horizons joint
venture between Intelsat and Japan's JSAT. The Maxar-built satellite
carries Intelsat's Galaxy 37 C-band payload and the Horizons-4 Ku-band
payload. It was launched by Falcon 9 on Aug 3. By Aug 18 the satellite
was in a 35778 x 35861 km x 0.1 deg orbit drifting west over the
Pacific.

Starlink launches
------------------

Starlink Group 6-8 (22 sats) was launched from Canaveral on Aug 7.
Starlink Group 6-20 (15 sats) was launched from Vandenberg on Aug 8.
Starlink Group 6-9 (22 sats) was launched from Canaveral on Aug 11.
Starlink Group 6-10 (22 sats) was launched from Canaveral on Aug 17.
Starlink Group 7-1 (21 sats) was launched from Vandenberg on Aug 22.

Glonass
-------

The Glonass-K2 No. 13L navigation sat was launched from Plesetsk on Aug 7; it was given
the code name Kosmos-2569.

Luna-25
--------

Russia's Luna-25 moon lander was launched from Vostochniy on Aug 10. The
probe and the Fregat stage have been cataloged as 57600 and 57601
(2023-118A and 118B), with the bonus that we have a TLE for 118B in a
267 x 280 km x 51.7 deg parking orbit. The Blok-I stage was marginally
suborbital and probably reentered over the S Atlantic.

The Luna-25 probe carried a laser mass spectrometer, an IR spectrometer,
a sample arm, an active neutron spectrometer, an ion spectrometer, a
dust monitor device, 4 wide angle and 2 narrow angle cameras, and 2
descent imagers. Following the withdrawal of international collaborators,
all the experiments were from IKI (the Space Research Institute in
Moscow). Luna-25 entered a low lunar polar orbit at 0903 UTC Aug 16. It
was expected to land near 43.5E 69.5S, but on Aug 19 at 1110 UTC an orbit
lowering burn erroneously lowered the orbital perilune below the surface
and at about 1157 UTC Luna-25 was destroyed when it crashed into the Moon
near the crater Pontecoulant G at 60.1E 57.2S.

Chandrayaan-3
--------------

India's Chandrayaan-3 entered a 164 x 18074 km x 88.5 deg lunar orbit on Aug 5.
On Aug 6 the orbit was adjusted to 170 x 4313 km x 90.0 deg By Aug 17
the orbit was lowered to 153 x 163 km x 89.6 deg and the propulsion
module separated from the lander at 0745 UTC.

On Aug 23 the lander began powered descent at 1213:50 UTC and landed
successfully on the lunar surface at about 1232:50 UTC near 32.3E 69.4S.
Deployment of the Pragyan rover was underway by 1630 UTC.

Manligyeong-1 F2
----------------

North Korea launched the second Cheonlima-1 on Aug 23, in an attempt
to place a spy satellite in orbit. North Korea states that
the launch failed during third stage flight, so it probably reached an apogee
of around 500 km. The NK news report implies the destruct system activated
accidentally.

Capella
--------

Capella launched the first of its new generation Acadia radar satellites on Aug 23
aboard an Electron from New Zealand.

Aeolus
------

ESA's Aeolus satellite was deorbited over Antarctica at about 1840 UTC Jul 28 after 4.9 years in space.

Table of Recent Orbital Launches
 ----------------------------------

Date UT       Name			     Launch Vehicle	 Site		 Mission  INTL.  Catalog  Perigee Apogee  Incl	 Notes
Jul 1 1212?   Euclid                           Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Astron   92A 200? x 1500000? x 36?
Jul 5 2200    Heinrich-Hertz-Satellit          Ariane 5ECA                Kourou ELA3      Comms    93  261 x 35672 x 3.0
              Syracuse 4B                                                                  Comms    93
Jul 6 0955    SC-ODIN                                                     ISS, LEO         Sci    98067
Jul 6 1005    Moonlighter                                                 ISS, LEO         Tech   98067
Jul 6 1130    RADSAT-SK                                                   ISS, LEO         Sci    98067
              Ukpik-1                                                                      Tech   98067
Jul 6 1140    Iris                                                        ISS, LEO         Tech   98067
              ESSENCE                                                                      Tech   98067
Jul 7 1929    Starlink Group 5-13              Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E Comms   94
Jul 9 1100    WHJSW                            Chang Zheng 2C/YZ-1S       Jiuquan          Comms   95A  1095 x 1116 x 86.5
Jul 10 0358   Starlink Group 6-5               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   96  297 x 338 x 43.0
Jul 12 0059   Hwasong-18 RV                    Hwasong-18                 Chongdong        Test    U03 -6258? x 6648 x 42
Jul 12 0100   Dummy payload                    Zhuque-2                   Jiuquan          Tech    97A 431 X 461 X 97.3
Jul 14 0905   Chandrayaan-3                    LVM3                       Satish Dhawan    Lunar   98A 139 x 36307 x 21.3
Jul 16 0350   Starlink Group 5-15              Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   99A 297 x 337 x 43.0
Jul 18 0127   LEO-3                            Electron                   Mahia LC1B       Comms   100G  995 x 1019 x 99.4
              Starling-1                                                                   Tech    100A? 566 x 585 x 99.5
              Starling-2                                                                   Tech    100B? 566 x 585 x 99.5
              Starling-3                                                                   Tech    100C? 566 x 585 x 99.5
              Starling-4                                                                   Tech    100D? 566 x 585 x 99.5
              Lemur                                                                        AIS/GRO 100E? 566 x 585 x 99.5
              Lemur                                                                        AIS/GRO 100F? 566 x 585 x 99.5
Jul 19 0700   Maya-5                                                      ISS, LEO         Comms  98067VW  412 x 416 x 51.6
              Maya-6                                                                       Comms  98067VX  412 x 416 x 51.6
Jul 20 0320   Tianmu 1-07                      Kuaizhou-1A                Jiuquan          Met     101A   516 x 529 x 97.4
              Tianmu 1-08                                                                  Met     101B
              Tianmu 1-09                                                                  Met     101C
              Tianmu 1-10                                                                  Met     101D
Jul 20 0409   Starlink Group 6-15              Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E Comms   102A  284 x 312 x 43.0
Jul 22 0507   Qiankun-1                        Gushenxing-1               Jiuquan          Imaging 103A  485 x 502 x 96.6
              Xingshidai-16                                                                Imaging 103B  485 x 502 x 96.6
Jul 23 0250   Sixiang-1                        Chang Zheng 2D             Taiyuan          Radar   104   488 x 504 x 97.4
              Sixiang-2                                                                    Imaging 104
              Sixiang-3                                                                    Imaging 104
              Lingxi-03                                                                    Comms   104
Jul 24 0050   Starlink Group 6-6               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   105   293 x 302 x 43.0
Jul 26 2002   Yaogan 36-05-01                  Chang Zheng 2D             Xichang          Sigint  106A  488 x 501 x 35.0
              Yaogan 36-05-02                                                              Sigint  106B  488 x 501 x 35.0
              Yaogan 36-05-03                                                              Sigint  106C  488 x 501 x 35.0
Jul 28 0401   Starlink Group 6-7               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   107   304 x 321 x 43.0
Jul 29 0304   Jupiter 3                        Falcon Heavy               Kennedy LC39A    Comms   108A  8001 x 35504 x 10.4
Jul 30 0101   DS-SAR                           PSLV-CA                   Satish Dhawan FLP Radar   109   520 x 538 x 5.0
              NuLion                                                                       Comms   109
              Galassia 2                                                                   Tech    109
              ORB-12                                                                       Tech    109
              SCOOB-II                                                                     Tech    109
              ARCADE                                                                       Tech    109
              VELOX-AM                                                                     Tech    109
Aug  2 0031   S.S. Laurel Clark                Antares 230+               MARS LA0A        Cargo   110A  177 x 304 x 51.6
Aug  3 0347   Fengyun 3-06                     Chang Zheng 4C             Jiuquan          Weather 111A  801 x  809 x 98.8
Aug  3 0500   Galaxy 37                        Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   112A 143 x 56147 x 24.6
Aug  7 0241   Starlink Group 6-8               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   113   283 x  292 x 43.0
Aug  7 1319   Glonass-K2 No. 13L               Soyuz-2-1B/Fregat          Plesetsk         Nav     114A  19133 x 19156 x 64.8
Aug  8 0357   Starlink Group 6-20              Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E Comms   115   281 x 292 x 43.0
Aug  8 2253   Huanjing Jianzai 2-06            Chang Zheng 2C             Taiyuan          Imaging 116A  487 x 502 x 97.4
Aug 10 0403   Xiguang 1-01                     Gushenxing-1               Jiuquan LC43/95A Imaging 117
              Xingchi-1B                                                                   Imaging 117
              Henan Ligong 1                                                               Imaging 117
              Xi'an Hangtou 88                                                             Imaging 117
              Xi'an Hangtou 96                                                             Imaging 117
              Xi'an Hangtou 104                                                            Imaging 117
              Xi'an Hangtou 112                                                            Imaging 117
Aug 10 2310   Luna-25                          Soyuz-2-1B/Fregat          Vostochniy PU1S  Lunar   118A  340?x400000?x49?
Aug 11 0517   Starlink Group 6-9               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   119   283 x  292 x 43.0
Aug 12 1726   Ludi Tance 4A                    Chang Zheng 3B             Xichang          Radar   120A  184 x 35818 x 28.6
Aug 14 0532   Jiaotong 6                       Kuaizhou-1A                Xichang          Comms   121A  693 x 704 x 45.0
              Jiaotong 7                                                                   Comms   121B
              Jiaotong 8                                                                   Comms   121C
              Jiaotong 9                                                                   Comms   121D
              Jiaotong 10                                                                  Comms   121E
Aug 14 1500?  Kelpie-2?                                                ION 11, SSO         Comms  84BY   599 x 698 x 98.0
Aug 17 0336   Starlink Group 6-10              Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   122   283 x 292 x 43.0
Aug 20 1745   Gao Fen 12-04                    Chang Zheng 4C             Jiuquan          Radar   123A  596 x 601 x 97.9
Aug 22 0937   Starlink Group 7-1               Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E Comms   124   283 x 294 x 53.1
Aug 23 0108   Progress MS-24                   Soyuz-2-1a                 Baykonur LC31    Cargo   125A  188 x 224 x 51.7
Aug 23 1850?  Manligyeong-1 F2                 Cheonlima-1                Sohae            Imaging F07  -5000? x 500 x 97?
Aug 23 2345   Capella 11                       Electron                   Mahia LC1B       Radar   126A

Table of Recent Suborbital Launches

-----------------------------------

Virgin Galactic's first flight with a paying tourist flew successfully
on Aug 10. VSS Unity flew the Galactic 02 mission to an apogee of 88.5
km with Virgin Galactic's C.J Sturckow, Kelly Latimer, and Beth Moses,
and passengers Jon Goodwin, Keisha Schahaff and Anastatia Mayers. First
time space flyers Latimer, Goodwin, Schahaff and Mayers get space
traveller numbers 657 to 660 in my list.

The White Knight 2 carrier plane took off from Spaceport America, New
Mexico at 1429 UTC and released Spaceship Two "Unity" at 1517:10 UTC
over the usual Elephant Butte drop point at 107.0W 33.3N After a 60
second burn of the rocket engine, Unity flew to apogee and then glided
down to a touchdown at Spaceport America at 1532:48 UTC for a free
flight time of 15m 38s.

Date UT       Payload/Flt Name Launch Vehicle      Site                  Mission    Apogee/km    Target

Jul 24 1454   KN-?              KN-?                N Korea              Test          100       Sea of Japan
Jul 24 1459   KN-?              KN-?                N Korea              Test          100       Sea of Japan
Aug 10 1517   Galactic 02       Spaceship Two       Sp. America EBR3     Tourist        88       Sp. America
Aug 16 1021   ROCKSAT-X         Terrier Imp.Mal.    Wallops I. LA2       Education     Unk       Atlantic
Aug 17 1000   RockOn            Terrier Imp.Orion   Wallops I. LA2       Education     117       Atlantic

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |                                    |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |  twitter: @planet4589              |
| JSR: https://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  https://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |