[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 821

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.com
Sat Jun 24 11:10:41 EDT 2023

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 821                                                         2023 Jun 24      Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

Expedition 69 continues.

The Dragon CRS-28 cargo ship was launched from Kennedy Space Center at 1547 UTC Jun 5
docked with port IDA-3 on the ISS at 0954 UTC Jun 6. Two more IROSA solar arrays were in the trunk,
and at least 6 cubesats were carried up in the cabin for future deployment.

On Jun 7 the SPDM/SSRMS arms moved the IROSA package from the CRS-28 trunk to the MBS POA
stowage location on the truss.

On Jun 9 astronauts Bowen and Hoburg made spacewalk US EVA-87 from the
Quest airlock to install the 1A IROSA array on the 1A mod kit structure
attached to the S4 truss segment. The airlock was depressurized from
1320 to 1928 UTC and the hatch was open from 1324 to 1922 UTC.

On Jun 15 Bowen and Hoburg, on US EVA-88, installed the second IROSA that
came up on CRS-28, the 1B array, moving it from the IROSA FSE on the MBS POA
to the 1B mod kit on the S6 truss. The airlock was depressurized from
1232 to 1818 UTC and the hatch was open from 1240 to 1814 UTC.

On Jun 16 at 0627 UTC Progress MS-22, which is docked to Zvezda, fired its engines
to reboost the ISS orbit by 2 km.

On Jun 22 astronauts Petelin and Prokop'ev made spacewalk VKD-59 from
the Poisk airlock. The airlock was depressurized from 1405 to 2052 UTC,
and the hatch was open from 1424 to 2048 UTC. The Seismoprognoz
experiment, launched on Progress M-21M in Nov 2013, was jettisoned from
the Zvezda module at 1633 UTC. The SVPI data unit, launched on Progress
M-08M in Oct 2010, was jettisoned from Zvezda at 1638 UTC. The TM/TS
data unit, launched on Progress M-51 in Dec 2004, was jettisoned at 1647
UTC. The RSPI-M data unit, probably launched in May on Progress M-23, was
installed on Zvezda at 1609 UTC. The Impakt experiment launched on Progress MS-03
in Jul 2016 and installed on Zvezda in Aug 2017 was retrieved and brought inside
the airlock.

Chinese Space Station
---------------------

Fei, Deng and Zhang returned to Earth in Shenzhou 15 on Jun 3. They
undocked at 1329 UTC and landed at 2233 UTC. The Shenzhou 16
crew of Jing, Zhu and Gui remain aboard the station.

The Tianzhou-5 cargo ship docked with the Tianhe forward port at 1910 UTC Jun 5,
after a month-long free flight.

In mid-May (exact date unclear), a space radiation experiment was robotically installed on the
station exterior after being extracted from the science airlock.

Starlink
---------

Starlink Group 6-3 (22 satellites) was launched on May 19 from Canaveral (I omitted this one last issue).
Starlink Group 2-10 (52 satellites) was launched on May 31 from Vandenberg.
Starlink Group 6-4 (22 satellites) was launched on Jun  4 from Canaveral.
Starlink Group 5-11 (52 satellites) launched on Jun 12 from Canaveral.
Starlink Group 5-7 (47 satellites) launched on Jun 22 from Vandenberg.
Starlink Group 5-12 (56 satellites) launched on Jun 23 from Canaveral.

Lijian-1
---------

The CAS Space Lijian-1 rocket made a successful secondflight on Jun  7 from Jiuquan, placing
26 satellites in a 491 x 512 km sun-sync orbit with 10:30 local time orbital plane.
Only four of the satellites have been tentatively identified to date.

Longjiang-3
-----------

EXPACE launched a KZ-1A on Jun 9 putting the Harbin Institute of
Technology's Longjiang-3 satellite in orbit. Longjiang-3 is a test of a
Starlink-like flat-panel communications satellite.

SAST launches
--------------

On Jun 15 SAST launched a CZ-2D from Jiuquan carrying 41 payloads, a record for a Chinese launch.
The satellites are part of the Jilin-1 imaging constellation.

In addition to eight further satellites in the Jilin-1 GF03D series, the
first 30 satellites in the Jilin-1 GF06A series were launched. The GF06A
sats appear to be an upgraded version of the GF03D optimized for rapid
mass production. Two of these sats, GF06A 17 and 18, are also part of
the Hong Kong-led Jin Zijing (Golden Bauhinia) constellation.

Two sats in the Jilin-1 Pingtai 02A series carry a high res imager and
laser comm intersatellite and ground-space links. They have an
`independent business capability' to share satellite resources among
different users.

The experimental Huoerguosi-1 (or Khorgos-1) satellite
was also aboard. It is a technical verification
satellite for the next generation of Jilin-1 sats.

On Jun 20 SAST launched a CZ-6 from Taiyuan carrying the Shiyan 25 satellite, which will test
a new remote sensing instrument suite. It was launched to an unusually low 306 x 321 km sun-sync
orbit with 10:30 local time of descending node.

Transporter-8
--------------

SpaceX's Transporter-8 rideshare mission was launched on Jun 12 to sun-synch orbit.
The satellites are:

 Imaging satellites: FOSSA Systems FEROX 1 to 4; Satlantis GEI-SAT Precursor,
                     Satellogic Nusat-40 to 43; SatVu HOTSAT-1; GHOST-3;
                     Runner-1; Dragonette-2; Unicorn-2I
 Radar satellites: Tomorrow-R2; ICEYE X23,X25,X26,X30; QPS-SAR-6
 Sigint satellites:  AII-Delta; MISR-A and B; MRC-100
 Comm satellites: EIVE; SpaceBEE 168 to 179; XVI; TIGER-4; Blackjack Aces-1 to 4;
   MDQSAT-1C/1D; URESAT; Istanbul; Kelpie-2
 ADS-B and GNSS-RO satellites: Lemur-2 Embrionovis, Lemur-2 Naziyah, Lemur-2 Aadam-Aliyah; Skykraft 3/3A to 3D
 Unknown satellites: Aryis-1 and 2, unknown owner
 Technology research: DROID.001; Musat-1; ABA First Runner; Gregoire; W-Series 1;
   Otter Pup;  Outpost M1
 Test and educational satellites: Pleiades Squared; Spei Satelles; SATTLA-2I; ROM-2
 Tugs: D-Orbit ION SCV-011, Launcher Orbiter SN3

Some of these satellites remain aboard the tugs for later deployment.
Otter Pup was ejected from Orbiter SN3
on Jun 12-13; the latter spacecraft failed to operate correctly and contact with it was lost on Jun 13.
Outpost M1 was deployed from ION around Jun 19. The Alba Orbital deployers on ION ejected six PocketQubes
on Jun 21 and 22.

Satria
------

Indonesia's Satria Ka-band communications satellite was launched on a Falcon 9 on Jun 18
to supersynchronous transfer orbit.

Delta 4H
--------

United Launch Alliance launched a Delta 4 Heavy from Cape Canaveral on Jun 22. The launch for
the US National Reconnaissance Office was designated NROL-68. The DCSS-5 upper stage made three
burns to place a large Advanced ORION signals intelligence satellite, USA 345, in geosynchronous orbit.

Table of Recent Orbital Launches
 ----------------------------------

Date UT       Name			     Launch Vehicle	 Site		 Mission  INTL.  Catalog  Perigee Apogee  Incl	 Notes
May 21 0800   Aomen Kexue 1A                   Chang Zheng 2C             Jiuquan           Science  69A?  453 x 497 x 41.0
              Aomen Kexue 1B                                                                Science  69B?  453 x 496 x 41.0
              Luojia-2 01                                                                   Radar    69C?  453 x 494 x 41.0
May 21 2137   Axiom Ax-2                       Falcon 9                   Kennedy LC39A   Spaceship  70A   210 x 302 x 51.7
May 24 1256   Progress MS-23                   Soyuz-2-1a                 Baykonur LC31     Cargo    71A   187 x 224 x 51.6
May 25 0924   NEXTSAT-2                        Nuri                       Naro              Tech     72A   540 x 550 x 97.5
              Doyosaet 1                                                                   Sci/Ast   72
              Doyosaet 2                                                                   Sci/Ast   72
              Doyosaet 3                                                                   Sci/Ast   72
              Doyosaet 4                                                                   Sci/Ast   72
              LUMIR-T1                                                                      Tech     72
              JAC                                                                           Tech     72
              KSAT3U                                                                        Tech     72
May 25 1900?  VIREO                                                       VR-6, LEO         Tech    54AX
May 26 0346   TROPICS 03                       Electron                    Mahia LC1B       Science  73A   538 x 556 x 32.7
              TROPICS 07                                                                    Science  73B   539 x 555 x 32.7
May 26 2114   Kondor-FKA No. 1                 Soyuz-2-1a/Fregat          Vostochniy PU1S   Radar    74A   509 x 512 x 97.4
May 27 0430   Badr 8                           Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40    Comms    75A   403 x 61203 x 27.8
May 29 0512   NVS-01                           GSLV Mk II                 Satish Dhawan SLP Nav      76A   208 x 40040 x 19.3
May 30 0131   Shenzhou 16                      Chang Zheng 2F             Jiuquan         Spaceship  77A   189 x 534 x 41.6
May 30 2127   Manligyeong-1                    Cheonlima-1                Sohae LC2         Imaging  F06   -5700? x 150? x 93?
May 31 0602   Starlink Group 2-10              Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E  Comms   78A    222 x 333 x 70.0
Jun  4 1220   Starlink Group 6-4               Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40    Comms   79A    314 x 321 x 43.0
Jun  5 1547   Dragon CRS-28                    Falcon 9                   Kennedy LC39A     Cargo   80A    403 x 407 x 51.7
Jun  7 0410   Fucheng-1                        Lijian-1                   Jiuquan           Radar   81     491 x 512 x 97.4
              Shiyan-24A                                                                    Tech    81
              Shiyan-24B                                                                    Tech    81
              Xi'an Hangtou 8                                                              Imaging? 81
              Tianyi-26?                                                                    Tech?   81
              Xingshidai-16?                                                               Imaging  81
Jun  9 0235   Longjiang-3                      Kuaizhou-1A                Jiuquan          Comms    82A  490 x 500 x 49.1
Jun 12 0710   Starlink Group 5-11              Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms    83   297 x 338 x 43.0
Jun 12 2135   Transporter 8                    Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E  Tug     84   520 x 534 x 97.5
Jun 12 2350?  Otter Pup                                                  Orbiter SN3, LEO    Tech   84
Jun 15 0530   Jilin-1 GF03D-19 to 26           Chang Zheng 2D             Taiyuan           Imaging 85
              Jilin-1 GF06A 01 to 30                                                        Imaging 85
              Jilin-1 PT02A 01 to 02                                                        Imaging 85
              Huoerguosi-1                                                                  Imaging 85
Jun 18 2221   SATRIA                           Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms    86A 545 x 51670 x 27.9
Jun 20 0318   Shiyan 25                        Chang Zheng 6              Taiyuan          Imaging  87A 306 x 321 x 96.6
Jun 20?       Outpost M1                                                 ION 11, LEO        Tech   84
Jun 21 1050   Istanbul                                                   ION 11, LEO        Tech   84
              SATTLA-2I                                                                     Tech   84
              Unicorn-2I                                                                  Imaging  84
Jun 22 0719   Starlink Group 5-7               Falcon 9                   Vandenberg SLC4E  Comms   88  228 x 334 x 43.0
Jun 22 0918   USA 345                          Delta 4H                   Canaveral SLC37B  Sigint  89A 35800 x 35800 x 0?
Jun 22 1210   ROM-2                                                      ION 11, LEO        Tech   84
              MRC-100                                                                       Tech   84
              URESAT                                                                        Tech   84
Jun 23 1535   Starlink Group 5-12              Falcon 9                   Canaveral LC40   Comms   90  297 x 338 x 43.0

Table of Recent Suborbital Launches

-----------------------------------

The first (intentionally) suborbital Electron mission flew on Jun 18.
The suborbital Electron is called HASTE and this flight carried a
MACH-TB/DYNAMO-A experiment built by Dynetics for the Naval Surface
Warfare Center/Crane Division. Apogee of the flight was not announced.

One ore more Trident 2 missile launches from a submarine off the coast
of Florida were expected in mid-June, but so far there is no
confirmation that they occurred.

Date UT       Payload/Flt Name Launch Vehicle      Site                  Mission    Apogee/km    Target

May 22 0500   MAPHEUS 13        IM/IM               Kiruna               Micrograv     225       ESRANGE
May 25?       RV                Kheibar             Unknown, Iran        Test          300?      Iran?
May 25 1623   Unity 25          Spaceship Two       Elephant Butte P3    Spaceship      87       Spaceport America
Jun 18 0125   DYNAMO-A          HASTE               Wallops I. LA0C      Hypersonic    300??     Atlantic

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |                                    |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |  twitter: @planet4589              |
| JSR: https://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  https://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |