[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 719

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.org
Sat Nov 28 18:06:22 EST 2015

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 719                                                  2015 Nov 28  Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

Expedition 45 is underway under the command of Scott Kelly, with flight
engineers Mikhail Kornienko, Oleg Kononenko, Sergey Volkov, Kimiya Yui,
and Kjell Lindgren. Progress M-29M carried out a reboost of the station
on  Nov 25 (delta-V 1.9m/s, burn duration 15m33s) raising the apogee by
6 km to an orbit of 397 x 411 km. ISS mass is 410972 kg (including
26600 kg of visiting vehicles).

WT1190F
-------

WT1190F reentered over Sri Lanka at 0618 UTC Nov 13 as predicted. The
entry was observed by a team led by the Astronomy Center of Abu Dhabi,
UAE, flying in a Gulfstream jet. Observers on the ground reported
hearing a `boom' which may have been related to the entry. I remain of
the opinion that WT1190F was probably either the LP TLI stage (A06033)
or Nozomi's KM-V1 stage (S25388).

Kosmos-2510
------------

The first EKS early warning satellite, Kosmos-2510, was launched on Nov
18 into a Molniya orbit. The satellite, developed by Energiya and
Kometa, replaces the defunct Lavochkin/Kometa 'Oko' system.

Laosat 1
--------

China launched a CZ-3B rocket on Nov 20 carrying LaoSat-1, a
Chinese-built DFH-3B communications satellite for Laos. LaoSat-1 is
owned by Lao Satellite Joint Venture Co, a collab between China APMT Co.
and the Lao National Authority for Science and Tech. LaoSat-1 was
cataloged as 41034 in a 189 x 41778 km x 18.4 deg geotransfer orbit.
Onboard liquid thruster will raise orbit to GEO at 128.5 deg E

Telstar 12V
------------

Telesat of Canada's Telstar 12 Vantage comms satellite launched to
geotransfer orbit Nov 24 in the first commercial launch of Japan's H-IIA
rocket and the first use of an uprated LOX/LH2 upper stage modified for
a long coast to a third burn at geotransfer apogee. The stage venting
was visible to observers in the USA. Telstar 12 Vantage replaces Telstar
12 and provides Ku-band capacity to the Americas.

Yaogan 29
---------

China launched a new Yaogan satellite on Nov 26. The orbit is very
similar to that of the Yaogan 1, 3 and 10 satellites though to be radar
imaging vehicles developed by the Shanghai Academy of Space Technology
(SAST).

Hayabusa-2
----------

A fleet of Japanese spacecraft is approaching the Earth after a year
in solar orbit.

The Hayabusa-2 asteroid probe has completed one orbit of the Sun and
will make an Earth flyby on Dec 3 to boost its orbit closer to that of the
target minor planet Ryugu. Hayabusa-2 enters the Earth's Hill sphere
on Nov 29. The 3100 km Earth flyby will change its solar orbit
from 0.91 x 1.09 AU to 0.95 x 1.30 AU.

The DESPATCH, Shin'en-2 and PROCYON spacecraft launched with Hayabusa-2
are also passing close to the Earth in the same timeframe, but they
will not enter the Earth's gravitational sphere of influence.

  Perigee     Date        Distance             Events

  PROCYON     Dec 3        2.7 million km
  Hayabusa-2  Dec 3 1007   3100 km             Enter Hill sphere   Nov 29 2000
                                               Inside Moon's orbit Dec  2 1200
                                              Outside Moon's orbit Dec  4 0800
                                               Leave Hill sphere   Dec  7 0000
  Shin'en-2   Dec 4 1027   5.7 million km
  DESPATCH    Dec 4        5.8 million km
 H2A 2nd Stage Dec ?       Unknown orbit

Table of Recent Orbital Launches
 ----------------------------------
Date UT       Name            Launch Vehicle        Site            Mission       INTL.   Catalog  Perigee Apogee  Incl   Notes
                                                                                                      km      km   deg

Oct 16 1616   Apstar 9             Chang Zheng 3B    Xichang          Comms          59A   S40982    190 x 41767  x 27.2
Oct 16 2040   Turksat 4B           Proton-M/Briz-M   Baykonur         Comms          60A   S40984  35717 x 35759  x  0.0
Oct 26 0710   Tianhui 1-03         Chang Zheng 2D    Jiuquan          Imaging        61A   S40988    490 x   500  x 97.4 1330LT SSO
Oct 31 1613   GPS SVN 73           Atlas V 401       Canaveral SLC41  Navigation     62A   S41019  20426 x 20485 x  55.0
Nov  3 1625   Zhongxing 2C         Chang Zheng 3B    Xichang          Comms          63A   S41021    195 x 35832 x  27.1
Nov  4 0345   Hiakasat     )                                          Imaging        F03   F01468  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              Argus        )                                          Tech           F03   F01469  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              PrintSat     )       Super Strypi      Kauai            Tech           F03   F01470  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              Techsat-1    )                                          Tech           F03   F01471  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              STACEM       )                                          Imaging        F03   F01472  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 1       )                                          Tech           F03   F01473  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 2       )                                          Tech           F03   F01474  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 3       )                                          Tech           F03   F01475  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 4       )                                          Tech           F03   F01476  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 5       )                                          Tech           F03   F01477  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 6       )                                          Tech           F03   F01478  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 7       )                                          Tech           F03   F01479  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
              EDSN 8       )                                          Tech           F03   F01480  -6378 x    30?x  94.7
Nov  8 0706   Yaogan 28           Chang Zheng 4B     Taiyuan          Imaging        64A   S41026    459 x   482 x  97.2 1414LT SSO
Nov 10 2134   Badr 7      )       Ariane 5ECA        Kourou ELA3      Comms          65A   S41028    264 x 35717 x   4.0
              GSAT-15     )                                           Comms          65B   S41029    259 x 35751 x   4.0
Nov 17 0634   Kosmos-2510         Soyuz 2-1b/Fregat  Plesetsk LC43/4  Early Warn     66A   S41032   1625 x 38551 x  63.8
Nov 20 1607   LaoSat 1            Chang Zheng 3B     Xichang LC2      Comms          67A   S41034    189 x 41778 x  18.4
Nov 24 0650   Telstar 12V         H-IIA 204          Tanegashima      Comms          68A   S41036   3140 x 35637 x  19.2
Nov 26 2124   Yaogan 29           Chang Zheng 4C     Taiyuan          Radar          69A   S41038    615 x   619 x  97.8 0430LT SSO

Table of Recent Suborbital Launches
-----------------------------------

The US Navy launched Trident II D-5 submarine-launched ballistic
missiles from the submarine USS Kentucky on Nov 8 and 9. The missiles
were launched from near San Clemente Island off the coast of California
and flew to Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific. The first missile
was launched just after local sunset and its expanding exhaust gases
were illuminated by the sun, causing widespread UFO reports across the
southwestern United States. The 2-dimensional projection on the sky of
the missile's westward motion, as seen from the mostly southwest-facing
southern California coast, fooled many observers into thinking the
missile was flying north along the coast. California observers were also
able to see the deployments of the MIRV reentry vehicles as the vehicle's
final stage approached the horizon.

On Oct 20 a US Navy missile defense test was carried out in the Hebrides
Range in Scotland. The target Terrier Orion rocket launched from the
island of South Uist was the first exoatmospheric rocket launch from UK
territory since 1982.

On Nov 9 India tested an Agni IV missile from its long range military
missile test site near Chandipur. The IC4 complex is on Inner Wheeler
Island, which has recently been renamed Abdul Kalam Island after Indian
missile/space developer and former President Abdul Kalam (1931-2015).

Blue Origin's New Shepard vehicle carried its prototype crew capsule to
100.5 km altitude, the booster reaching 100.4 km.  The booster was
recovered in a controlled vertical rocket landing, the first such
successful landing on the Earth's surface following an exoatmospheric
flight. The crew capsule landed nearby on a parachute.

Date UT       Payload/Flt Name Launch Vehicle      Site                  Mission    Apogee/km    Target

Oct 19 1409   O-STATES 2       S31/Orion           Kiruna, Sweden        Atmosphere    244       ESRANGE Area B, Sweden
Oct 20        Aegis Target     Terrier Orion       South Uist, Hebrides  Target        100?      N Atlantic
Oct 20        Aegis KV         SM-3          DDG-71, Hebrides Range      Interceptor   100?      (N Atlantic)
Oct 21 1245   GT216GM RV       Minuteman 3         Vandenberg LF04       Training     1300?      Kwajalein, Marshall Is.
Oct 28 1130   4 RVs            Yars                Plesetsk              Test         1000?      Kura, Kamchatka
Oct 30        Topol RV         Topol               Plesetsk              Test         1000?      Kura, Kamchatka
Oct 30        R-29RM RV x 4?   Sineva        K-117 Bryansk, Barents Sea  Test         1000?      Kura, Kamchatka
Oct 30        R-29 RV x 4?     Volna         K-223 Podolsk,Sea of Okhotsk Test        1000?      Chizha?, Kanin Penisula
Oct 31 2300?  Target           B-611?              Jiuquan, China        Target        100?      Korla
Oct 31 2300?  Interceptor      DF-21?              Korla/Urumqi, China   Interceptor   100
Nov  1 0305   SRALT RV         SRALT         C-17, Pacific SE Wake I     Target        300?      Wake Island
Nov  1 0307?  THAAD KV         THAAD               Wake Island           Interceptor   100?      (Pacific)
Nov  1 0310?  eMBRM RV         eMRBM         C-17, Pacific SE Wake I     Target        300?      Wake Island
Nov  1 0312?  THAAD KV         THAAD               Wake Island           Interceptor   100?      (Pacific)
Nov  6 1501   FOP-4            SpaceLoft XL        Spaceport America, NM Microgravity  120       White Sands
Nov  8 0200   USN Mk 5 RV (x14?) Trident II  SSBN 737, Pt Mugu           Test         1000?      Kwajalein?
Nov  9 2000?  USN Mk 5 RV (x14?) Trident II  SSBN 737, Pt Mugu           Test         1000?      Kwajalein?
Nov  9 0415   Agni RV          Agni IV             Abdul Kalam Island    Test          600       Indian Ocean
Nov 14        RV               Bulava        K-551 V.Monomakh, White Sea Test         1000?      Kura, Kamchatka
Nov 14        RV               Bulava        K-551 V.Monomakh, White Sea Test         1000?      Kura, Kamchatka
Nov 17 1212   Topol'-E RV      Topol'              Kapustin Yar          Reentry test 1000?      Sary Shagan
Nov 23 1721   New Shepard CC   New Shepard         West Texas Site       Test          101       West Texas Site

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |                                    |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |  twitter: @planet4589              |
| JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |