[JSR] Jonathan's Space Report, No. 793

Jonathan McDowell jcm at planet4589.com
Fri Jun 4 14:20:49 EDT 2021

Jonathan's Space Report
No. 793                                                           2021  Jun  4  Somerville, MA

International Space Station
---------------------------

On May 4 and 5 the Dextre robot arm was used to move an old NiH battery pack
(possibly S/N 0072) and its FRAM adapter from External Stowage Platform
3 Site 6 to the external attach area on the Cygnus cargo ship S.S.
Katherine Johnson. The battery will be destroyed with the ship when it
is eventually deorbited over the Pacific.

On Jun 2 astronauts Novitskiy and Dubrov made a spacewalk from the Poisk module
in spacesuits Orlan MKS-5 and MKS-4 respectively. During the spacewalk the Pirs
module was decommissioned and prepared for future removal from ISS.
The Poisk airlock was depressurized at 0525 UTC and the hatch was opened from 0553 to 0555 UTC.
The astronauts installed a commemorative kit for the Energiya company on a handrail
outside Poisk. They then took a pressurized container from Poisk to Zarya. The container
had the new SP RRZh flow regulator inside; the regulator was swapped with the failed one
on Zarya, which was sealed inside the container. The container was stowed on Poisk and
then later, at 1056 UTC, jettisoned into space. It was cataloged
with international designation 1998-067SK; I believe it has a mass of about 50 kg.
The GStM-2 crane was moved from Pirs to Poisk. The Kurs AFU cabling was disconnected
from Poisk and reconnected to Zarya. A `gap spanner' ladder between Pirs and Zvezda was
removed (and taken inside?). Finally, two exposure experiment packages, in the 'Vinoslivost' and
'Test' series, were installed outside the Poisk airlock.
The Poisk airlock hatch was closed at 1312 UTC.

I'm not sure when the new flow regulator and container were launched, but I'm guessing it
was on Progress MS-15.

On Jun 3 SpaceX launched cargo ship Dragon CRS-22 from Kennedy Space Center. The B1067 first
stage, on its first flight, landed on the droneship OCISLY. The second stage was deorbited
south of Australia. CRS-22 carries the 2B/4B IROSA solar array package in its unpressurized
trunk section. The array package has a mass of 1380 kg.

A second object was cataloged from the CRS-22 launch in a 209 x 545 km orbit; it appears
to be a small debris object of unknown origin, maybe something minor that came off stage 2 during
the deorbit burn. Sources have confirmed that the Falcon  9 second stage deorbit was
successful.

Tianwen-1
----------

The Chinese Tianwen-1 probe has made the country's first successful landing on Mars, on May 14.
The Tianwen-1 Orbiter made an orbit adjust at 1717 UTC to lower its orbit around
Mars from 277 x 57761 km x 88.7 deg to -37 x 57040 km x 89.2 deg. At about 2000 UTC
the Tianwen-1 Lander separated from the Orbiter; and at 2054 UTC the Orbiter then raised
periares again to return to a safe 431 x 57591 km x 89.2 deg orbit. The Lander then descended, beginning
atmospheric entry at 2254 UTC at an altitude of 125 km, a velocity of 4.8 km/s and
an entry angle of -11.2 degrees. At about 2259 UTC the main parachute deployed, and then the
heat shield was jettisoned. The backshell and parachute separated about a minute later
and rocket-powered descent began, leading to a landing at 109.7E 25.1N on Utopia Planitia at 2301 UTC.
The signal from the landing was received on Earth at 2318 UTC after a light travel time of 17m 44s.

On May 17 at about 0025 UTC the orbiter lowered its apogee, reaching a 259 x 12572 km x 89.2 deg orbit
to begin its new role as a communications relay.

The above analysis uses the excellent work of Daniel Estevez and the AMSAT-DL team, as well as data
from Scott Tilley.

Starlink and OneWeb
--------------------

52 Starlink satellites were launched on May 9 to a higher than usual deployment orbit.
Two rideshare satellites were carried: Capella 6, a radar imaging satellite for Capella Space,
and Tyvak-0130, a 6U cubesat for Tyvak and Lawrence Livermore Lab to test new astronomical
telescope optics.

60 Starlink satellites were launched on May 26 to the usual 300 km, 53 degree orbit.

36 OneWeb satellites were launched on May 28 on a Soyuz from Vostochniy.

Electron flight 20
------------------

Two BlackSky Global imaging satellites were lost in the failure of RocketLab's Electron mission 20.
Shortly after second stage ignition the stage shut down, tumbled out of control and the vehicle
did not reach orbit. Apogee was 136 km.

SBIRS
-----

The SBIRS GEO-5 satellite was launched on May 18. SBIRS GEO-5 uses an infrared telescope to detect
missile launches. Two 12U cubesats for the Air Force Academy were also carried and released
to a 180 x 4520 km x 26.2 deg orbit. The Centaur then restarted to put SBIRS in
an 897 x 35744 km x 21.2 deg geotransfer orbit. By Jun 1
SBIRS GEO-5 had raised its orbit to 25960 x 35734 km x 9.1 deg.

HY-2D
-----

On May 19 China's SAST launched a Chang Zheng 4B with the HY-2D (Hai Yang 2D) oceanographic
satellite.

Tianzhou-2
-----------

China's CALT launched a CZ-7 from Wenchang on May 29 carrying the
Tianzhou-2 cargo ship. Tianzhou-2 made a rapid rendezvous with Tianhe
and docked with it at 2101 UTC, 8 hr 6 min after launch. The CZ-7 second
stage, with a mass around 6 tonnes, was left in a 196 x 321 km x 41.5
deg orbit.

FY4-02
------

The Fengyun 4 satellite 02 (also called FY4B) meteorological satellite was launched to
geotransfer orbit on Jun 2.

ION-SVC
--------

The D-Orbit ION-SVC PULSE spacecraft released its final passengers, twelve 0.25U SpaceBEEs for Swarm
Technologies, on May 11.

Table of Recent Orbital Launches
 ----------------------------------

Date UT       Name                           Launch Vehicle      Site            Mission  INTL.  Catalog  Perigee Apogee  Incl   Notes
May  4 1901   Starlink 1904                   Falcon 9              Kennedy LC39A      Comms     38A
              Starlink 2499
              Starlink 2505
              Starlink 2526
              Starlink 2560-2561
              Starlink 2563
              Starlink 2568
              Starlink 2570-2576
              Starlink 2578
              Starlink 2581
              Starlink 2585-2596
              Starlink 2598-2614
              Starlink 2521-2624
              Starlink 2626
              Starlink 2628
              Starlink 2630-2631
              Starlink 2635-2637
              Starlink 2641
              Starlink 2643
              Starlink 2674
May  6 1811   Yaogan 30 hao 08 zu 01 xing )  Chang Zheng 2C         Xichang            Sigint?  39A S48423  592 x 602 x 35.0
              Yaogan 30 hao 08 zu 02 xing )                                            Sigint?  39B S48424  592 x 602 x 35.0
              Yaogan 30 hao 08 zu 03 xing )                                            Sigint?  39C S48425  592 x 602 x 35.0
              Tianqi 12                   )                                            Comms    39D S48426  589 x 598 x 35.0
May  9 0642   Starlink 2247                    Falcon 9             Canaveral SLC40    Com      40A-BM      257 x 282 x 53.0
              Starlink 2269
              Starlink 2461
              Starlink 2494
              Starlink 2496-2497
              Starlink 2500
              Starlink 2508
              Starlink 2525
              Starlink 2529
              Starlink 2531
              Starlink 2579
              Starlink 2582-2583
              Starlink 2619-2620
              Starlink 2632-2634
              Starlink 2638-2640
              Starlink 2642
              Starlink 2644-2645
              Starlink 2652
              Starlink 2654-2655
              Starlink 2658-2661
              Starlink 2663
              Starlink 2675
              Starlink 2680-2687
              Starlink 2689-2690
              Starlink 2692-2693
              Starlink 2696-2700
              Starlink 2702-2703
              Starlink 2706
              Starlink 2722-2723
              Starlink 2728-2729
              Starlink 2749
              Starlink 2755
May 11        SpaceBEE-64 to  75                                  ION-SVC 2, LEO     Comms    06ES-FD      511 x 534 x 97.3
May 15 1111   BlackSky 8     )                 Electron             Mahia LC1        Imaging  F02 F01582  -6060 x 117? x 50.0
              BlackSky 9     )                                                       Imaging  F02 F01583  -6060 x 117? x 50.0
May 15 2256   Starlink 2063                   Falcon 9              Kennedy LC39A      Comms  41A
              Starlink 2139
              Starlink 2145
              Starlink 2151
              Starlink 2155
              Starlink 2166-2167
              Starlink 2173
              Starlink 2186-2191
              Starlink 2214-2215
              Starlink 2217
              Starlink 2219-2222
              Starlink 2224-2225
              Starlink 2227-2228
              Starlink 2231-2238
              Starlink 2240-2242
              Starlink 2244-2246
              Starlink 2248-2253
              Starlink 2255-2256
              Starlink 2274-2276
              Starlink 2713-2714
              Starlink 2757
              Capella 6                                                                 Radar 41BF? S48606?
              Tyvak-0130                                                               Astron 41BE? S48605?
May 18 1737   SBIRS GEO 5)                     Atlas V              Canaveral SLC41 EarlyWarn 42A S48618    898 x 35744 x 21.1
              TDO-3      )                                                            Tech    42B S48619    179 x 4518 x 26.1
              TDO-4      )                                                            Tech    42C S48620    180 x 4516 x 26.1
May 19 0403   HaiYang 2D                       Chang Zheng 4B       Jiuquan         Rem.Sen.  43A S48621    932 x  950 x 66.0
May 26 1859   Starlink 2521                    Falcon 9             Canaveral SLC40    Com      44A-BM      257 x 282 x 53.0
              Starlink 2615-2618
              Starlink 2627
              Starlink 2629
              Starlink 2646-2649
              Starlink 2651
              Starlink 2653
              Starlink 2657
              Starlink 2666-2667
              Starlink 2672-2673
              Starlink 2688
              Starlink 2691
              Starlink 2695
              Starlink 2701
              Starlink 2704-2705
              Starlink 2707-2709
              Starlink 2711-2712
              Starlink 2715
              Starlink 2717
              Starlink 2719-2720
              Starlink 2725-2727
              Starlink 2731-2743
              Starlink 2745-2746
              Starlink 2748
              Starlink 2750-2754
              Starlink 2756
              Starlink 2758
              Starlink 2763
May 28 1737   OneWeb SL0190                   Soyuz-2-1b/Fregat     Vostochniy PU1     Comms  45A-AM       442 x 452 x 87.4
              OneWeb SL0210-0216
              OneWeb SL0221-0248
May 29 1255   Tianzhou-2                      Chang Zheng 7         Wenchang LC102     Cargo  46A   S48803 369 x 377 x 41.5
Jun  2 1617   Fengyun 4 02 xing               Chang Zheng 3B        Xichang LC2        Weather 47A  S48808 186 x 35808 x 28.5
Jun  3 1729   Dragon CRS-22                   Falcon 9              Kennedy LC39A      Cargo   48A  S48831 193 x 212 x 51.6

Table of Recent Suborbital Launches
-----------------------------------

The Missile Defense Agency's FTM-31 Event 1 test on May 29 or May 30
appears to have involved launch of an MRBM-T3c2 target rocket with a
Trident C-4 first stage and M57 second stage, from Meck Island at
Kwajalein towards the central Pacific near Hawaii. The planned intercept
by two SM-6 missiles launched from an Aegis ship near Hawaii did not
take place, but it's not clear if the SM-6 missiles were launched but
missed, or weren't launched at all.

Further missile defense tests were carried on in late May from South
Uist in the Hebrides, with Aegis intercepts by ships off the west coast
of Scotland.

Date UT       Payload/Flt Name Launch Vehicle      Site                  Mission    Apogee/km    Target

Apr 14 1651   NS-15             New Shepard        West Texas            Test          106       West Texas
Apr 19 0830   SHIELDS           Black Brant IX     White Sands           UV Astron     285       White Sands
Apr 28 0800?  M51 payload       MSBS M51           Landes                Test?        1000?      Atlantic
May 17 0441   KiNET-X           Black Brant XIIA   Wallops I LA1?        Plasma        486       Atlantic
May 18 1830   EUNIS 4           Black Brant IX     White Sands           Solar EUV     335       White Sands
May 22 1526   VG-021            Spaceship Two      Elephant Butte        Test           89       Spaceport America
May 24 0535   MAPHEUS 11        IM/IM              Kiruna                Micrograv     216?      ESRANGE
May 27 0115   VIPER             Terr. Imp. Mal.    Wallops               Ionosphere    151?      Atlantic
May 26        T4-B Target       Terrier Oriole     South Uist            Target        300?      Atlantic
May 26        AEGIS KV          SM-3             DDG-117, D-701 Atlantic Interceptor   150?      Intercept T4-B
May 29?       FTM-31E1 Target   MRBM-T3c2          Kwajalein Meck I.     Target        500?      Pacific
May 30        T4-B Target       Terrier Oriole     South Uist            Target        300?      Atlantic
May 30        AEGIS KV          SM-3             DDG-117, D-701 Atlantic Interceptor   150?      Intercept T4-B

|  Jonathan McDowell                 |                                    |
|  Somerville MA 02143               |  inter : planet4589 at gmail       |
|  USA                               |  twitter: @planet4589              |
| JSR: https://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html                                 |
| Back issues:  https://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back                  |